Songs that mention Isaac Newton

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Newton
In summary: Peter Gabriel that mentions Newton. Unfortunately, it's a bit too fast-paced for a powerpoint presentation, so I'd recommend cutting it down to just the first few lines. Beyond that, though, there's not a whole lot out there that specifically mentions Newton.
wasteofo2
I'm doing a project on Isaac Newton for my physics class, and the main part of it is a power point project.

I figure that I might as well have some songs that mention Newton playing in the background, but I've only been able to find 2 so far.

So if you know any songs besides "The Sounds of Science" by the Beastie Boys, and "Man on the Moon" by REM, please share them so I can drop some extra science on my class.

Physics news on Phys.org
don' t take this the wrong way, but is there any need to have audio when you will be speaking. from what i have been taught and seen myself this distracts from what is being said.

"Immanuel Kant was a real pissant,
who was never really stable.
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar,
who could drink you under the table"
Hmm..that song doesn't mention Isaac, does it?
Sorry for the intrusion..

Herman Kahn, but Immanuel Kant...

Dammit, Arildno! Now look what you've gone and made me do. :grumpy:

dmail said:
don' t take this the wrong way, but is there any need to have audio when you will be speaking. from what i have been taught and seen myself this distracts from what is being said.
I'm not going to have songs playing while I'm speaking, I'll cut up the bit of the song that mentions Newton and have it play at the beginning of the slide, then talk.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Music and sound effects added to a powerpoint get people's attention, it's a good idea.
Edit: I just googled "Isaac Newton songs" and found this. My speakers are broken, these are probably horrid.
http://www.haverford.edu/physics-astro/songs/database/srcNewton.htm
The first one's abysmal. The second is worse:

On the first day of Newton , Sir Isaac gave to me
The acceleration due to Gravity
On the second day of Newton , Sir Isaac gave to me
Two torques a balanced
On the third day of Newton , Sir Isaac gave to me
Three laws of motion
On the fourth day of Newton , Sir Isaac gave to me
Four apples falling...

I think I would have just used James Brown's "Gravity". I have no idea what the lyrics are, though.

I haven't heard many good Newton songs. Maybe you could change your subject to something more musical, like the electromagnetic spectrum. "I intended to do a project about Newton, but this subject has cooler songs.":rofl:

The Astrocappellas sing some very good science songs, just none about Newton (my favorites are the Doppler Shift and the Swift Song).

http://www.scientainment.com/songs.html "Carbon Is a Girl's Best Friend" is pretty good, too.

There just seems to be a huge vacuum when it comes to good Newton songs, though. If I were William Hung, I'd take advantage of that fact to make a surprising comeback. :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
BobG said:
If I were William Hung, I'd take advantage of that fact to make a surprising comeback. :rofl:
William Hung is hot.

Not Newton per se, but in the song "King of Birds" by REM there's somewhat of an allusion to a Newton-ism: "Standing on the shoulders of giants / leaves me cold"

Waste : You've got to look at this

* Ballad Of Sir Isaac Newton

http://www.acme.com/jef/science_songs/

Evo said:
Music and sound effects added to a powerpoint get people's attention, it's a good idea.
I usually have the complete opposite reaction. Unless it really is needed as part of a demonstration of something, I find music and sounds to be distracting and amateurish. I'd be very careful about using it, limiting it maybe to just the introduction, or if there's a place where you need to show an animation/movie that is silent and requires no speaking to explain it. Don't try to talk over the music, or you'll risk that nobody can hear/understand you, or will be distracted listening to the music instead of you.

I like the idea of intro piece while you wait for folks to settle down.

You might be able to use the old Fig Newton song.

Gokul43201 said:
Waste : You've got to look at this

* Ballad Of Sir Isaac Newton

http://www.acme.com/jef/science_songs/

Well, as an upshot, that site does have a version of "Why Does The Sun Shine?"

What are some songs that mention Isaac Newton?

Some songs that mention Isaac Newton include "Gravity" by John Mayer, "Isaac Newton" by James Blake, and "The Ballad of Sir Isaac Newton" by Tom Glazer.

What is the significance of Isaac Newton in these songs?

Isaac Newton is often portrayed as a symbol of scientific discovery and intellectual curiosity in these songs. He is also seen as a representation of the power of human thought and the ability to understand the world through science.

Why do artists often reference Isaac Newton in their songs?

Isaac Newton is a well-known and influential figure in the history of science, and his theories and discoveries have had a lasting impact on our understanding of the world. Artists may reference him to convey a sense of wonder and awe, or to make a statement about the power of science and human ingenuity.

Are there any common themes or motifs in songs that mention Isaac Newton?

Many songs that mention Isaac Newton often explore themes of discovery, curiosity, and the pursuit of knowledge. They may also touch on the concept of gravity and its metaphorical significance in our lives.

Do songs that mention Isaac Newton have a specific genre or style?

Songs that mention Isaac Newton can be found across various genres, including pop, rock, and folk. However, they often have a more contemplative and introspective tone, reflecting the intellectual themes associated with Newton and his theories.