Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sonic boom

1. Aug 6, 2016 #1
    As speed of the sounding source approaches speed of sound, sonic boom is heard...

Can it happen in terms of light too.. ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2016 #2

Garlic

Gold Member

Yes. Cherenkov radiation is what you are looking for.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_radiation
    In short, when an electrically charged particle moves faster than the "speed of light in a medium", it emits photons, the so called cherenkov radiation.

4. Aug 6, 2016 #3

Cherenkov_radiation its a new term for me had never heard about it before :oops: lemme read it first o_O Thank you

5. Aug 6, 2016 #4

Garlic

Gold Member

No problem :smile:

6. Aug 6, 2016 #5
    Objects can surf sound waves. Chuck Yeager reported the feeling of his jet surfing the sound wave. Can anything surf a light wave either in a medium or a vacuum? I'm assuming no for the vacuum.

7. Aug 6, 2016 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This can certainly be achieved using microwaves, rather than light. Particles cannot travel at c so it is always necessary that the EM wave is deliberately slowed down for this to work. You can use a 'slow wave structure', for instance a helical transmission line, to accelerate charged particles. A wave that's launched along the helix will have a series of maxes and mins of E field that sweep along the helix. Electrons can be caught by the fields in the wave and accelerated. That sounds a lot like 'surfing' to me.
    A linear accelerator, used in modern X ray machines, used for radiotherapy, works on a similar principle by E fields, sweeping along the accelerator tube.

8. Aug 8, 2016 #7
    Thanks Sophie :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted