1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sono-luminescence produced nuclear fusion

1. Jun 17, 2005 #1
    I was reading aboot sono-luminescence, and the researcher from llnl, that thought that he had (mistakenly) produced nuclear fusion. With all of the info available that I could find aboot sono-luminescence...it all seems to come down to 'how fascinating, but we don't much aboot it'. With that in mind, I want to make a small sono-luminescence device, to just watch it run, if nothing else.

Can I use mineral oil, instead of acetone, or water?

Why did the scientists @ llnl decide to use acetone...why not some sort of fluid that does not dissolve any hydrogen at all?...On all of the sites that I read up on, they all seem to say that it is very important that there be as little dissolved gases in the working fluid as possible.

Where can I get a round bottomed (100ml or so) flask...I am not in college right now, and when I was I didn't take any chem courses, mostly just read the book for basic inorganic chem myself, and then annoyed people with questions ;)

Also, if anyone has any pertinent explanations, and formulas as to the construction of one of these devices, then by all means share them!

Any and all questions/comments/educated guesses to ANY of my questions are more than welcome.

-Mike

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2005 #2
    Arghhh! No one? Where would be the best place to post this questions then?

4. Jun 26, 2005 #3
    Bumpity bump

5. Jun 21, 2011 #4
    Re: Sonoluminescence...?

Hi redwraith94, I am actually also interested in sonoluminescence! I believe there is actually a commercial system now which you can purchase here:

http://www.teachspin.com/instruments/sonoluminescence/index.shtml [Broken]

I think constructing one yourself is possible, but could be difficult as you need to have a power amplifier and proper transducers. Poke around on the teachspin website and they show you how to calculate the resonant nodes of a rectangular liquid container :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Jun 22, 2011 #5

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Several years ago Scientific American ran and article in "The Amateur Scientist" on how to reproduce sonoluminescence. There is a step-by-step procedure. Included was a company who sells the piezo ceramics to use.

7. Jun 22, 2011 #6

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

A google search for sonoluminescence revealed several sites devoted to reproducing it in your lab. One is

http://www.techmind.org/sl/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook