Sonometer Concept Question

• Thread starter teleport
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concept
In summary, the frequency of the standing wave observed in the wire is equal to 2f because the magnetic field of the solenoid causes the wire to become magnetized with an opposite polarity as that of the solenoid, resulting in the wire being attracted by the solenoid twice during each cycle of the current. The current through the solenoid is the same everywhere, and the direction of the magnetic field changes when the current changes direction, causing a delayed effect in the induced magnetism.
teleport

Homework Statement

This is more like a concept question.

If you have a solenoid with AC frequency f, placed in close proximity on top of a wire with both ends fixed, and projected parallel to it, why is the frequency of the standing wave observed in the wire equal to 2f?

The Attempt at a Solution

This is about magnetic forces and fields which I haven't studied yet. This is out of curiosity, after seeing that statement without any explanation in my last lab. Thank you if you can clear this for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic field of the solenoid causes the wire to become magnetized with an opposite polarity as that of the solenoid. This means that the wire will become a N and S pole near the solenoid during each cycle of the current in the solenoid. The wire will therefore be attracted by the solenoid twice during each cycle of the current.

Thanks. When you mean cycle, do you refer to current going through one coil, or going through the entire solenoid? (I think only one coil) Also, at what moments will the polarity in the solenoid change, thus inducing two magnetic forces on the wire per cycle? Thanks a lot.

Since the solenoid is one continuous piece of wire the current through it will be the same "everywhere" in it.

Normally we use the right hand rule to determine the direction of the magnetic field : Curl the fingers of the right hand in the direction of conventional current flow in the coil. The thumb will then point in the direction of the magnetic field lines. This means that the field changes direction when the current changes direction (E and B fields are in phase). The induced magnetism will normally lag behind in time due to the fact that it takes a finite amount of time for the magnetic domains to orientate themselves (this is also true for the solenoid - a delayed effect).

Last edited:
o I think I get it now. Great. Thank you.

1. What is a Sonometer?

A Sonometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the frequency, pitch, and intensity of sound waves. It typically consists of a string stretched over a resonant chamber, with a movable bridge and a weight to adjust tension and produce different frequencies.

2. How does a Sonometer work?

A Sonometer works by producing sound waves through the vibration of a string. The string is plucked or struck, and the resulting vibrations travel through the string and produce a sound. The length and tension of the string can be adjusted to change the frequency and pitch of the sound.

3. What is the purpose of a Sonometer?

The purpose of a Sonometer is to study and understand the properties and behavior of sound waves. It is commonly used in physics and music classrooms to demonstrate concepts such as resonance, harmonics, and the relationship between frequency and pitch.

4. How is a Sonometer different from a guitar?

While a Sonometer and a guitar may look similar, they serve different purposes. A Sonometer is a scientific instrument used for studying sound waves, while a guitar is a musical instrument used for creating music. A guitar has multiple strings and frets, while a Sonometer usually only has one string and a movable bridge.

5. Can a Sonometer be used for tuning musical instruments?

Yes, a Sonometer can be used for tuning musical instruments. By adjusting the tension and length of the string, different frequencies and pitches can be produced. This can be used to tune other instruments to the desired frequency. However, a tuner or tuning fork is typically used for more accurate tuning.