What Are the Best Books for a Future Physics Student to Study Over Summer?

In summary, the speaker is starting a physics degree in the fall and wants to begin studying over the summer. They have taken pre-calculus in high school and are looking for recommendations for calculus and algebra-based physics books to study. The speaker is also considering taking extra math courses as electives to potentially obtain a second degree in math. They are also open to taking summer classes to get ahead. A suggested calculus book is "Calculus and Analytic Geometry" by George B. Thomas.
Dan A
In the fall i will be starting my physics degree. I would like to begin studying over the summer because i really don't have much better to do. In high school I took up to pre-calculus, so I would like some books to begin learning calc, and then physics books to study after i learn some calculus concepts. Also some algebra based physics books would be nice to start before i learn the calculus concepts. Any recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
A classic calculus text for many years has been CALCULUS AND ANALYTIC GEOMETRY
by George B Thomas. My copy is 1960!

I checked Amazon: $488 new; used, starting at about $5.

Another approach is to find what calculus and physics texts your college uses this fall...and study those.

Also: If you have the opportunity to choose some electives, find out what you would need for a second degree...say in math. I took some extra math courses as electives as an undergraduate engineering major and nobody ever told me that if I had taken just two or three more math courses I could have gotten a math degree as well!. A variation is to go to summer classes if you can get a few xtra courses you need/want.

Last edited:

1. What should I expect as a physics student?

As a physics student, you can expect to learn about the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe. You will also develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as learn how to use mathematical models to explain and predict physical phenomena.

2. What kind of courses will I take as a physics student?

Some common courses for physics students include mechanics, electricity and magnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and astrophysics. You may also take courses in math, computer science, and other sciences to support your understanding of physics.

3. Is it necessary to have strong math skills to be a successful physics student?

Yes, having a strong foundation in math is essential for understanding and excelling in physics. You will need to be comfortable with algebra, calculus, and other advanced mathematical concepts to solve problems and understand theories in physics.

4. What kind of career opportunities are available for physics students?

Physics students can pursue a variety of careers, including research positions in academia or industry, teaching, science communication, and data analysis. Many physics students also go on to pursue graduate degrees in physics or related fields.

5. How can I prepare for studying physics in college?

To prepare for studying physics in college, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and science. You can also explore physics-related topics through books, online resources, and hands-on experiments. It may also be helpful to familiarize yourself with scientific notation and basic physics concepts, such as motion and forces.