1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Soon to be physics student

1. Jul 4, 2012 #1
    In the fall i will be starting my physics degree. I would like to begin studying over the summer because i really don't have much better to do. In high school I took up to pre-calculus, so I would like some books to begin learning calc, and then physics books to study after i learn some calculus concepts. Also some algebra based physics books would be nice to start before i learn the calculus concepts. Any recommendations?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2012 #2
    A classic calculus text for many years has been CALCULUS AND ANALYTIC GEOMETRY
    by George B Thomas. My copy is 1960!!!!

I checked Amazon: $488 new; used, starting at about $5.

Another approach is to find what calculus and physics texts your college uses this fall....and study those.

Also: If you have the opportunity to choose some electives, find out what you would need for a second degree...say in math. I took some extra math courses as electives as an undergraduate engineering major and nobody ever told me that if I had taken just two or three more math courses I could have gotten a math degree as well!!!. A variation is to go to summer classes if you can get a few xtra courses you need/want.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook