Sooo lost (probablility? problem)

• Thread starter jnimagine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary, the conversation discusses a simulation involving rolling dice a certain number of times and finding a reasonable numerical measure of the width of the distribution. There are also questions about how the width of the distribution correlates with the number of rolls and the mathematical relationship between FWHM and standard deviation for a gaussian distribution. The conversation also mentions difficulties in understanding and approaching the questions, and a lack of guidance in learning about the topic.
jnimagine
sooo lost... please help! (probablility? problem)

So, we were given simulations of histograms that has to do with rolling a certain number of dice consecutive times.
and these questions were given...
and I am soo lost as to how to approach these questions.

1. What is a reasonable numerical measure of the width of the distribution?
2. Comparing the first two possibilities should show that the width of the distribution does not depend on the number of times the sets of rolls is repeated. Comparing all the possibilities but the first shows that it does depend on the number of rolls n. How does the width of the distribution correlate with the number of rolls? Be both qualitative and at least semi-quantitative: if n is the number of rolls does the width vary as n, 1/n, the square root of n, one over the square root of n, …

and also, for gaussian distribution, what is the mathematical relationship between FWHM (full width at half the maximum) and the standard deviation?

Please...help me... T.T

Physics news on Phys.org

anyone...? :cry:

You are probably getting no response because what you wrote makes so little sense.

jnimagine said:
So, we were given simulations of histograms that has to do with rolling a certain number of dice consecutive times.
and these questions were given...
and I am soo lost as to how to approach these questions.

1. What is a reasonable numerical measure of the width of the distribution?
Which distribution? Each time you rolled the dice a certain number of times? What are you plotting horizontally on your histogram?

2. Comparing the first two possibilities should show that the width of the distribution does not depend on the number of times the sets of rolls is repeated.
Comparing what "first two possibilities"?

Comparing all the possibilities but the first shows that it does depend on the number of rolls n. How does the width of the distribution correlate with the number of rolls? Be both qualitative and at least semi-quantitative: if n is the number of rolls does the width vary as n, 1/n, the square root of n, one over the square root of n, …
Again, what "possiblities"? Do you mean each time you rolled a specific number of dice? What are the width and number of rolls for the second trial? What are the width and number of rolls for the second trial? And, of course, what are you plotting, or measuring, along the base of the histograms?

and also, for gaussian distribution, what is the mathematical relationship between FWHM (full width at half the maximum) and the standard deviation?[\quote]
This looks like a question about a given formula. Which formula?

Please...help me... T.T
If you are taking this course, surely you must know something about this.

This is an assignment for physics... and I never learned anything about this sort of thing in my life and we're not getting taught anything about it either...

1. Which distribution? Each time you rolled the dice a certain number of times? What are you plotting horizontally on your histogram?

number of rolls on the y-axis and fraction of sevens in the x-axis.
ex. graph shows 36 rolls repeated 4000 times, 72 rolls 500 times etc.

2. Comparing the first two possibilities should show that the width of the distribution does not depend on the number of times the sets of rolls is repeated.

Comparing what "first two possibilities"?
36 rolls repeated 4000 times
36 rolls repeated 1000 times

3. Comparing all the possibilities but the first shows that it does depend on the number of rolls n. How does the width of the distribution correlate with the number of rolls? Be both qualitative and at least semi-quantitative: if n is the number of rolls does the width vary as n, 1/n, the square root of n, one over the square root of n, …

Again, what "possiblities"? Do you mean each time you rolled a specific number of dice? What are the width and number of rolls for the second trial? What are the width and number of rolls for the second trial? And, of course, what are you plotting, or measuring, along the base of the histograms?

- possibilities:
36 rolls repeated 4000 times
36 rolls repeated 1000 times
72 rolls repeated 500 times
144 rolls repeated 250 times
180 rolls repeated 200 times
288 rolls repeated 125 times
360 rolls repeated 100 times

- width varies for all the different possibilites... it seems to get narrower as you go down the list

- base of the histogram is the fraction of sevens

and also, for gaussian distribution, what is the mathematical relationship between FWHM (full width at half the maximum) and the standard deviation?
This looks like a question about a given formula. Which formula?

-no, "To find this you determine where the number of data is one-half of the value of the maximum, i.e. where N(x) = A/2. There will be two such points for a bell shaped curve. Then the FWHM is the difference between the right hand side value and the left hand side value of x." That's all it said and the above question came up.

1. What is the probability of getting lost?

The probability of getting lost depends on various factors such as the location, level of familiarity with the area, and the means of navigation. It is difficult to determine an exact probability without specific information.

2. How can I prevent getting lost?

To prevent getting lost, it is important to plan ahead and have a map or navigation system. It is also helpful to have a general understanding of the area and landmarks. Staying on designated paths or trails can also decrease the chances of getting lost.

3. What should I do if I get lost?

If you find yourself lost, stay calm and try to retrace your steps. If you have a map or navigation system, use it to find your way back. If you are unable to find your way, stay in one place and call for help or wait for someone to find you.

4. How can I improve my navigation skills?

Improving navigation skills takes practice and experience. It can be helpful to take a navigation course or learn from experienced hikers or travelers. Additionally, using a compass and learning how to read maps can also improve navigation skills.

5. What are some common mistakes people make when they get lost?

Some common mistakes people make when they get lost include panicking, wandering aimlessly without a plan, not staying in one place, and not having a means of communication. These mistakes can make it more difficult for rescuers to find you and can also put you in more danger.