1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sooper easy question

1. Apr 8, 2009 #1
    sooper easy question :)

uhmm, say I have half of a parabolic curve, how do I turn it into a straight line?

what I'm thinking...

y = x2
    root of y = x? but I leave the x as it is?

hmm hard to explain... lemme try explaining a bit

(x,y)
    (4,16)

okay? ok now to make it straight, I would do root of 4 and leave x as 16 and then just plot this on graph?

result

(x,y)
    (2,16)

or would I do the root of 16 as well

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2009 #2
    Re: sooper easy question :)

I have to ask, what are you trying to do?

"uhmm, say I have half of a parabolic curve, how do I turn it into a straight line?"

That doesn't really make sense.. Are you trying to find the gradient of the curve at a point?

4. Apr 9, 2009 #3
    Re: sooper easy question :)

Yeah i think he is;

First off you must differentiate, i'm not sure if you know what this means so i'll put a simple version down anyway;

y = x²

So CHANGE in y / CHANGE in x (gradient) = 2x (bring the power down)

Then insert the x figure

so say at the point x = 4, the gradient would be 8. (If you don't understand differentiation, look it up, it is KEY!!!!! to understanding / doing any of these questions) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative

Then you must use the formula

y - y1 = g ( x - x1) Where you insert G gradient, y1 & x1, the points so

y - 16 = 8 (x - 4)

y = 8x + 12 Would be the equation for the line at the point x = 4

I can understand why you might find all that a bit hard to understand, if you still can't pickup on some stuff here post again! You must understand these problems! Peace! :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook