How do I turn a parabolic curve into a straight line?

• Thread starter twenty5
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to turn a half parabolic curve into a straight line. The proposed solution involves finding the gradient of the curve at a given point, using the derivative formula, and solving for the equation of the line using the given point and gradient. The speaker emphasizes the importance of understanding differentiation in order to solve these types of problems.
twenty5
sooper easy question :)

uhmm, say I have half of a parabolic curve, how do I turn it into a straight line?

what I'm thinking...

y = x2
root of y = x? but I leave the x as it is?

hmm hard to explain... let me try explaining a bit

(x,y)
(4,16)

okay? ok now to make it straight, I would do root of 4 and leave x as 16 and then just plot this on graph?

result

(x,y)
(2,16)

or would I do the root of 16 as well

Physics news on Phys.org

I have to ask, what are you trying to do?

"uhmm, say I have half of a parabolic curve, how do I turn it into a straight line?"

That doesn't really make sense.. Are you trying to find the gradient of the curve at a point?

Yeah i think he is;

First off you must differentiate, I'm not sure if you know what this means so i'll put a simple version down anyway;

y = x²

So CHANGE in y / CHANGE in x (gradient) = 2x (bring the power down)

Then insert the x figure

so say at the point x = 4, the gradient would be 8. (If you don't understand differentiation, look it up, it is KEY!! to understanding / doing any of these questions) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative

Then you must use the formula

y - y1 = g ( x - x1) Where you insert G gradient, y1 & x1, the points so

y - 16 = 8 (x - 4)

y = 8x + 12 Would be the equation for the line at the point x = 4

I can understand why you might find all that a bit hard to understand, if you still can't pickup on some stuff here post again! You must understand these problems! Peace! :P

What is the definition of "sooper easy question"?

"Sooper easy question" is a colloquial term used to describe a question that is very simple or basic in nature, and can be easily answered without much thought or effort.

Why do people ask "sooper easy questions"?

People may ask "sooper easy questions" for a variety of reasons. It could be because they are genuinely curious and seeking knowledge, or they may be looking for a quick and simple answer to a problem they are facing. In some cases, people may also ask "sooper easy questions" to test someone's knowledge or to make a point.

Are there different levels of "sooper easy questions"?

Yes, there can be different levels of "sooper easy questions" depending on the context and the individual's level of knowledge or expertise. A question that may be considered "sooper easy" for one person may be more challenging for someone else.

How should I respond to "sooper easy questions" as a scientist?

As a scientist, it is important to approach all questions with patience and respect. Even if a question seems simple or obvious to you, it may not be for the person asking it. It is also important to provide an accurate and informative answer, rather than dismissing the question as too easy.

Can "sooper easy questions" lead to more complex discussions?

Yes, "sooper easy questions" can often serve as a starting point for deeper and more complex discussions. They can lead to further exploration and critical thinking, and help build a foundation for understanding more complex topics in the future.