Soothsayers See Doom, Gloom in Closeness of Mars

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars
In summary, soothsayers from India and Hong Kong have predicted that the close encounter with Mars on Wednesday will bring about natural or man-made disasters on Earth. This prediction has been met with skepticism and ridicule, with some dismissing it as just business as usual. However, others believe that the soothsayers may have some truth to their claims, citing past instances where similar predictions have come true. Ultimately, the close encounter with Mars has passed without any major incidents, leaving some relieved that the feared disasters did not occur.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
PHNOM PENH (Reuters) - ...Soothsayers from India and Hong Kong to a tent outside a temple in the heart of Cambodia's capital say Wednesday's close encounter with Mars spells natural or man-made disaster on Earth.

http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=3344536

Physics news on Phys.org
spells natural or man-made disaster on Earth.

That's kinda general, isn't?

Disaster! My Bus is late!

All that talk of violence sounds much like business as usual...
...carry on.

I know. It's so silly. When I read
cr@p like this about soothsayers
claiming people will be losing
their patience because of the
proximity of Mars it just makes
me want to SMASH stuff!

Last edited:
Maybe it really works then...

Mars makes the soothsayers speak of violence, and low and behold it happens, haha!

I can't forget that around 1962, the same kind of Southeast Asian soothsayers were aghast at US plans to got to the Moon. Descration! They foresaw hideous disasters if the project went forward.

Well, it went forward, and we got Viet Nam.

*whew*
Mars is becoming more distant now. That was a close one!
:wink:

1. What is a soothsayer?

A soothsayer is a person who claims to have the ability to foresee future events or outcomes through supernatural or mystical means.

2. What is the significance of the closeness of Mars?

The closeness of Mars is a term used to describe the closest approach of the planet Mars to Earth, which occurs approximately every 26 months. This event is of interest to both scientists and the general public as it allows for better observation and study of the red planet.

3. How are soothsayers predicting doom and gloom from the closeness of Mars?

Soothsayers often make predictions based on astrological events and believe that the closeness of Mars can have a negative influence on human affairs and bring about disasters or calamities.

4. Is there any scientific evidence to support these predictions?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claims of soothsayers regarding the influence of Mars' closeness on human events. In fact, scientists have stated that the gravitational pull of Mars is too weak to have any significant impact on Earth.

5. How should we interpret these predictions from soothsayers?

These predictions should be taken with a healthy dose of skepticism and not be relied upon as a reliable source of information. It is important to base our beliefs and decisions on scientific evidence and critical thinking rather than superstition and pseudoscience.

Back