SOPA and PIPA - how can non US citizens pitch in?

• Thread starter CrimpJiggler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pitch
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential threat of freedom of information being taken away from the world through the implementation of bills such as SOPA and PIPA. The speaker expresses concern about the potential violation of human rights and urges for action to be taken to prevent this from happening. However, the other person argues that the bills are meant to combat piracy and not restrict information. The conversation also mentions the lack of understanding from politicians and the potential for unintended consequences if the bills were to be passed.
CrimpJiggler
What can us non US citizens do to prevent freedom of information being taken away from the world? I thought this kind of thing was only imagined by conspiracy theorists. I actually did hear conspiracy theorists claiming this would happen years ago. This seems to be one of those situations where we either all start acting now or we will lose our freedom of information permanently. I wrote an email to a company which was supposedly supporting the PIPA informing them that they had just lost what would have been a life long customer (which is the truth) but since I'm not in the US, I don't really know what I can do to oppose this potential global human rights violation more directly.

Physics news on Phys.org
CrimpJiggler said:
What can us non US citizens do to prevent freedom of information being taken away from the world? I thought this kind of thing was only imagined by conspiracy theorists. I actually did hear conspiracy theorists claiming this would happen years ago. This seems to be one of those situations where we either all start acting now or we will lose our freedom of information permanently. I wrote an email to a company which was supposedly supporting the PIPA informing them that they had just lost what would have been a life long customer (which is the truth) but since I'm not in the US, I don't really know what I can do to oppose this potential global human rights violation more directly.
I'm afraid you don't understand that the bills are to stop piracy. There is no prevention of freedom of information. There are no human rights violation, unless you consider the people commiting piracy to be violating the rights of the copyright owners, which they are. The only problem with the bills are that they were put together by politicians that don't understand how the problem should be addressed and would just end up causing other problems.

You can read the bills here.

SOPA - http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112s968is/pdf/BILLS-112s968is.pdf

PIPA - http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112s968is/pdf/BILLS-112s968is.pdf

Last edited:

1. What are SOPA and PIPA?

SOPA and PIPA are acronyms for two pieces of legislation proposed in the United States in 2011. SOPA stands for Stop Online Piracy Act and PIPA stands for Protect IP Act. These bills aimed to combat copyright infringement and online piracy by allowing the US government and copyright holders to take legal action against websites that hosted or facilitated the sharing of copyrighted material.

2. How do SOPA and PIPA affect non-US citizens?

SOPA and PIPA would have had a global impact by allowing the US government to shut down websites registered in other countries if they were found to be in violation of US copyright laws. This could potentially lead to censorship and limit access to information for non-US citizens.

3. Can non-US citizens participate in protests against SOPA and PIPA?

Yes, non-US citizens can participate in protests against SOPA and PIPA by signing petitions, sharing information on social media, and contacting their own government officials to express their concerns about the potential global impact of these bills.

4. How can non-US citizens contribute to the conversation about SOPA and PIPA?

Non-US citizens can contribute to the conversation about SOPA and PIPA by educating themselves about the potential impact of these bills, sharing information with others, and engaging in discussions with individuals and organizations that are working to oppose these bills.

5. Are there any alternative ways for non-US citizens to pitch in against SOPA and PIPA?

Yes, non-US citizens can also support organizations and companies that are actively opposing SOPA and PIPA, such as the Electronic Frontier Foundation and Google. They can also continue to use and support websites and platforms that promote free and open access to information and content.