Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News SOPA creators new bill.

1. Apr 29, 2013 #1
    Aimed at stripping peer review requirement from the NSF. Seems to me like it's some attempt to get religious "science" taken "seriously" ha.

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2013/04/us-lawmaker-proposes-new-criteri-1.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2013 #2
    Sounds like too much power for one man.

4. Jun 19, 2013 #3
    Encorp, I don't think this is to get religious science taken seriously. Here peer review seems to be referring to the process of awarding grants; not the evaluation of research already done. Really this seems like political grandstanding to try and give the illusion of fiscal conservatism.

Considering their first goal of getting at the social science here are the all the active awards for the Social, Behavorial, and Economic Sciences division of the NSF. I scanned through the list and the total looks to be around 1B (allow me +/- 0.5B, haha). That's for ALL active awards, not just this year. Given that the annual budget for the past year our two for the entire NSF is 7B this seems like a pretty weak attempt at fiscal conservatism.

Hey, Smith! Try the DHHS or the DOD!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook