Need Experiments for Sophomore Biology Class

• Thread starter TrainsGoWoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biology
In summary, this sophomore's biology course does not include many experiments that can be done in a short amount of time. He is looking for suggestions on experiments to do in the next few weeks before the teacher returns. Some of the experiments that were done last year were DNA collection, video making, cell model making, and inexpensive labs.
TrainsGoWoo
Actually, this isn't really a "Homework" question but I figured it would fit better here anyway.
I'm a sophomore (in high school), taking a biology course, as the title suggests.

I'm making a straight 98 and my teacher has asked me several times if I am "Bored" and suggested I brainstorm an experiment or two. I'm honestly coming up with nothing. Today I stumbled across this forum (and am very much enjoying my stay, you are all so smart!) and decided to make a post about this.

I have 20 days or so of school left, and optimally suggestions would be experiments taking 10-15 or fewer days before results are measured (or experiments that are measured daily, either or will work, really.)

I really appreciate all help I might happen to get here! I'm very much intrigued by
experimenting, as we do few experiments at my school that are curriculum-based.

(Little funding, not enough money to sponsor several classes worth of groups' materials for the experiments. Not to mention a good number of my classmates are terrible about results. The last three experiments I've done on my own. I have been bullied by my classmates into faking my results, so they won't have to do math to figure out the average of the results.)

1. Need experiments to do with teacher out of pure curiousity
2. Homework Equations (none)
3. The Attempt at a Solution (N/a?)

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you should work hard to academically dissociate yourself from your 'classmates' and use every chance to capitalize on your opportunities (e.g. extra experiments, etc). If you're good at science (or just biology), which It sounds like you are---you should push yourself.

You could do a dissection type 'experiment' (e.g. squid or something); of you could do something like trying to culture e.coli of yeast---compare different growth conditions and media etc?

Biology studying as sophomore helps the student further understand the structure and function about living world.
Sophomore students always wishing to be fresh and active at schools. they making http://dissertationcompanyreviews.com/sophomore-class-slogans.html" to react with or to show their mentality.

Last edited by a moderator:
im a junior this year and i took honors bio b last year. we didnt do many experiments that would last 15 days or so. but mabey you could do a bunch of smaller ones. here are a few we enjoyed last year.
1. DNA- using some common household items you collect and save your own dna.

2. Video- Everyone in the class made a fun video to about a particular disease.

3. Cell Model- we researched and made a brochure for a product based off a cell map. For example you could talk about visiting the "cell zoo" and mabey a train that goes around the zoo could be the cell wall. Some people made tangible models as extra credit. If i recall correctly this took up anout a week in class.

Also you could easily come up with inexpensive labs to do. we did bunch that semester. We had a gummy bear lab, jelly bean lab, we did one where we came up with what our child would look like and then made it out of a plate, yarn, and markers.

Hope this helped!

Hello there! I can definitely understand your enthusiasm for experimenting and your frustration with limited resources and uncooperative classmates. Here are some suggestions for experiments that you can do in your sophomore biology class with minimal resources and within the time frame you have mentioned:

1. Investigate the effects of different types of nutrients (carbohydrates, proteins, fats) on the growth of plants. You can set up different groups of plants, each receiving a different type of nutrient, and measure their growth over a period of 10-15 days.

2. Study the effects of temperature on the heart rate of animals. You can use a simple pulse sensor to measure the heart rate of different animals (such as insects, reptiles, or small mammals) at different temperatures and analyze the data to see if there is a correlation.

3. Explore the process of photosynthesis by comparing the oxygen production of plants under different light conditions. You can use a simple oxygen sensor to measure the amount of oxygen produced by plants under varying light intensities or wavelengths.

4. Investigate the effects of different types of music on the behavior of animals. You can set up an experiment with groups of animals (such as mice or fish) exposed to different types of music and observe their behavior.

These are just a few ideas, but there are many more experiments that you can do with minimal resources and within a short time frame. I would also recommend discussing your ideas with your teacher and seeking their guidance and support. Good luck with your experiments!

1. What is the purpose of conducting experiments in a sophomore biology class?

The purpose of conducting experiments in a sophomore biology class is to provide students with hands-on learning experiences that allow them to apply the concepts they have learned in class. These experiments help students develop critical thinking skills and gain a better understanding of biological processes and principles.

2. What types of experiments are typically done in a sophomore biology class?

The types of experiments done in a sophomore biology class vary depending on the curriculum and learning objectives of the class. However, common experiments may include studying cellular respiration, genetics, or ecological relationships. These experiments often involve observing and manipulating living organisms, collecting and analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on the results.

3. Are there any safety precautions that students should be aware of when conducting experiments?

Yes, safety precautions are an essential part of any experiment. Students should always follow the instructions provided by the teacher and wear appropriate protective gear, such as goggles or gloves. In addition, students should handle all chemicals and living organisms with caution and dispose of them properly after the experiment is complete.

4. Can students conduct experiments outside of the classroom for their biology class?

Yes, students can conduct experiments outside of the classroom for their biology class. However, they should always have the supervision and approval of their teacher before conducting any experiments. It is also important to ensure that any experiments done outside of the classroom follow ethical guidelines and do not harm the environment or living organisms.

5. How can students get the most out of their experiments in a sophomore biology class?

To get the most out of their experiments, students should actively participate and engage in the process. This can include asking questions, making predictions, and analyzing data. It is also important for students to take thorough notes and reflect on their observations and results to deepen their understanding of the concepts being studied.