Should I pursue a career in Civil or Electrical Engineering?

In summary, the individual is still undecided on which field to pursue and is doing research to decide which field is best for them. They have a high GPA and 8+ years of experience in the field of wastewater treatment. They are interested in all the engineering fields, but are leaning towards electrical or civil engineering. They plan to pursue a path through self-study and possibly course auditing to learn the skills they are looking for in the field.
Nick M
I'm still having difficulty deciding on which field to pursue.

Completed my first year in engineering, along with some of my sophomore classes. I'm spending next year finishing my math sequence (Multi & Diff-EQ) along with the rest of my general education courses while I decide on a path. I've got a GPA in the high 3 range.

I'm 26 (work/school both full-time) with 8+ years experience running a wastewater treatment plant (with the highest grade license in the state) - I'll be 29/30 when I graduate, with 12 years in the field. Lot's of hands-on experience running batteries of lab-tests, trouble-shooting electrical/mechanical/hydraulic systems, running equipment, etc.

I'm interested in all the engineering fields, but I think I have it narrowed down to Civil or Electrical (specifically Environmental or Control Systems). Civil really ties in with my current line of work, and I would certainly have a solid foothold/edge when entering this field upon graduation if I pursued employment in the Environmental sector. I think it makes the most sense financially, and certainly has a strong future. I'm also interested in the field for personal use - selecting land and designing the home of my dreams. Then there is the romantic notion of starting off in the oldest branch of engineering.

Electrical engineering interests me much more on a personal level (probably twice as much as civil). The extra physics primarily, which delve beyond I and II into things like optics, quantum mechanics, and relativity (at my school anyways). I'm really interested in control systems (which are being heavily implemented into the environmental sector for automated measurements and metering). Also, almost everything in a treatment plant is electrically powered. I'm a private pilot, and would also love to build my own plane someday (along with a great avionics system).

The more I think about it, the longer these two lists become supporting these two fields.
I would love some more advise. I've talked to advisors at school and (depending on the department they're located in) the opinion differs drastically.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Go for where you want to work. I doubt engineers need to recite physics the way a physicist would. So what if you learn baby quantum and optics. I doubt you will ever use it.

If you prefer electrical work, do it. If civil do that. It seems interest has attracted you to EE, not work. You're not going to learn physics from engineering. Once your done school, what is stopping you from learning these topics on your own? At a real level too.

I've been on the fence for so long, but I think I've settled on Civil/Environmental. It's very interesting to me, I have close to a decade of experience in operations within the field, and it's an area that continues to grow and is projected to continue to do so. The education is diverse, including classes common to the MechE and ChemE curriculum along with many courses exclusive to it's own identity. It has the strongest focus on economics/business (at least at my school), and will be an excellent gateway into other areas.

Spent some time with some friends looking around the new Engineering Lab II at UMass today. I'd be using brand new labs and state of the art technology there.

However, I still want to learn control systems - so I've spent about 8 hours over the past few days stripping down the EE program at UMass into it's components. I've designed a path I plan to take on the side through self-study and possibly some course auditing to learn the skills I'm looking for in the EE realm. It consists of about 10 classes. I got the ISBN#'s for the texts, and a list of software/equipment.

Really feeling good about this now.

What is a sophomore in engineering?

A sophomore in engineering is a student who is in their second year of studying engineering at a college or university. This typically means they have completed their freshman year and are beginning to take more specialized courses in their major.

What are common majors for sophomores in engineering?

Common majors for sophomores in engineering include mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, chemical engineering, and computer engineering. However, there are many other engineering majors available and students may choose to specialize in a specific area.

What are some common classes for sophomores in engineering?

Some common classes for sophomores in engineering include calculus, physics, mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials science. Students may also take more specialized classes in their specific engineering major.

What skills do sophomores in engineering typically have?

Sophomores in engineering typically have strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. They also have a solid foundation in math and science and are able to apply these skills to real-world engineering problems.

What career opportunities are available to sophomores in engineering?

There are many career opportunities available to sophomores in engineering, including roles in industries such as aerospace, automotive, construction, energy, and technology. Some common job titles for engineering graduates include engineer, project manager, consultant, and researcher.