1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sophomore in Undergraduate Research

1. Sep 5, 2012 #1
    I just finished my first 2 years of college and completed all the lower division classes.

I spent 2 quarters part-time researching and a summer full time researching for my professor (who is a theorist) in solid state physics. The work I done was mostly calculation through programming and I spent plenty time in reading papers.

The thing is my professor thinks during the upcoming school year I should not be spending too much time researching because I need to build a very good foundation for theoretical research.

I admit that I was not very helpful on the math part, I know very little about quantum mechanics and advance E&M. I am grateful that he even allowed me to research for him in the first place and he taught me a lot about superconductivity.

So far I only know things qualitatively, I am missing the heavy-duty math behind the theories.

I don't know how should I take his suggestion. It's kind of disappointing but on the other side it might be a positive thing to me.

I would like to see what do you all think? Should I seek a research position in experimental work instead of theoretical work as an undergrad? Or should I just stop researching for a while and do more school work?

Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted