Sorry for Double Post but I need

• Thread starter HawKMX2004
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help in devising an equation for acceleration on an inclined plane with friction present. The conversation includes the use of variables such as SFy, SFx, Fn, Fgy, Fgx, m, a, U, Fg, Ff, and theta. The final equation derived is a=gcosX-UgcosX/m.
HawKMX2004
Sorry for the double post, but this edit wasnt showing up for me on other post, so i post it here.

I also came across another challenging problem, devising of an equation for Acceleration on an inclined plane.

Q: A toy car is released from rest at the top of a ramp going down to the right. Assuming that friction IS present derive an equation that could determine the acceleration of the car.

SFy - sum of forces in the y direction
SFx - sum of forces in the x direction
Fn - Force Natural
Fgy - Force Gravity in the Y-direction
Fgx - Force Gravity in the X direction
m - Mass
a - Acceleration
U - Coefficient of Friction
Fg - Force of Gracity
Ff - Force of Friction

Here is my work, though I think i went wrong with the sin and cos values

SFy = Fn - Fgy = 0
Fn = Fgy
Fn = cos(Theta)Fg
SFx = Fgx - Ff = ma
SFx = Fgx - FnU = ma
SFx = Fgx = ma + FnU
SFx = sin(Theta)Fg = ma +cos(Theta)Fg
SFx = sin(Theta)Fg / cos(Theta)Fg = ma + U
SFx = tan(Theta) = ma + U
SFx = tan(Theta) - U = ma
SFx = [tan(Theta) - U] / m = a

Once again help would be appreciated..thankz for all help and corrections

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I'm not going to use those variables because it's too comfusing

First, a=net force/mass
U - Coefficient of Friction
Force of Friction=UmgcosX
Force of the car=mgcosX

Net Force=mgcosX-UmgcosX

a=net force/mass
a=(mgcosX-UmgcosX)/m
a=gcosX-UgcosX

No need to apologize for the double post, sometimes technology can be frustrating. It's great that you are actively seeking help and corrections for your work.

Your approach to solving this problem using Newton's Second Law is correct. However, there are a few mistakes in your calculations.

Firstly, in your equation for SFy, you have written Fn = cos(Theta)Fg. This should be Fn = sin(Theta)Fg, since the angle Theta is with respect to the x-axis and the force of gravity is acting in the y-direction.

Secondly, in your equation for SFx, you have written SFx = sin(Theta)Fg / cos(Theta)Fg = ma +cos(Theta)Fg. This should be SFx = sin(Theta)Fg - cos(Theta)Fg = ma. The force of friction is acting in the opposite direction of the force of gravity, so it should be subtracted instead of added.

Finally, in your last equation, you have written SFx = [tan(Theta) - U] / m = a. This should be SFx = [tan(Theta) - U]m = a, as the mass should be multiplied to both sides of the equation.

Overall, your approach and understanding of the problem is correct. Just be careful with your calculations and make sure to double check for any mistakes. Keep up the good work!

1. Why do I need to apologize for double posting?

Double posting, or posting the same content multiple times, can be seen as spamming and can be disruptive to online conversations. It is considered good online etiquette to apologize for accidentally double posting and to try to avoid doing so in the future.

2. Can double posting have negative consequences?

Yes, double posting can have negative consequences as it can be seen as spamming or as an attempt to gain attention. It can also make it difficult for others to follow the conversation and can lead to confusion or frustration.

3. How can I prevent double posting?

There are a few ways to prevent double posting. One way is to double check before posting to ensure that the content has not already been posted. Another way is to use the edit function to make any necessary changes to a post instead of creating a new one. Additionally, taking a moment to review the forum or discussion guidelines can also help prevent double posting.

4. Is it okay to double post if I have new information to add?

In most cases, it is best to edit your original post to add new information rather than creating a new post. However, if the new information is significant and would be difficult to find in the original post, it may be acceptable to create a new post with a clear explanation of why it is being posted separately.

5. Should I always apologize for double posting, even if it was intentional?

It is always a good idea to apologize for double posting, regardless of whether it was intentional or not. This shows respect for others and can help maintain a positive online community. If the double post was intentional, you may also want to explain your reasoning behind it.