Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sorry I'm new and need help -- how to lift 180lbs about thirty centimetres off the ground

1. Nov 27, 2014 #1
    Hey, im new to this stuff and was just wondering if someone could help me i need to know what could i use to lift 180lbs about thirty centimetres off the ground, also this device has to be small but still powerful enough to lift the required weight i would appreciate any help i could get.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2014 #2

Danger

Gold Member

A lever would be simplest.

If it doesn't have to stay up for any significant length of time, or come back in one piece, dynamite would work. I'm not supposed to talk about that kind of stuff here, though.

4. Nov 28, 2014 #3
    water if the weight is buoyant or made to be. block and tackle is an old standby for lifting objects but may not meet the small requirement. guess a hot air balloon is also out. air bags can lift items but 30cm could be tipsy. $5 to a strong friend could lift it too.

5. Nov 29, 2014 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Brilliant!
    (You're obviously not Canuck, though; we work for beer.)

6. Nov 29, 2014 #5
    :P we also eat beaver!

7. Nov 29, 2014 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What is the context of your question? What is the application? Is this a school project?

8. Nov 29, 2014 #7

Danger

Gold Member

I stand corrected. o:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook