1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sorting multiple integrals

1. Feb 6, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I shall show the following:

[tex]
    (f*g) \star (f*g) = (f\star f)*(g\star g)
    [/tex]

where [itex]*[/itex] denotes convolution and [itex]\star[/itex] cross-correlation. Writing this in terms of integral & regrouping:

[tex]
    \int_{\phi} \left(\int_{\tau_1} f(t - \tau_1) g(\tau_1) d\tau_1\right) \cdot \left(\int_{\tau_2} f(\tau_2) g(t+\phi-\tau_2) d\tau_2\right) d\phi \\
    = \int_{\tau_2} \int_{\tau_1} f(t - \tau_1) g(\tau_1) d\tau_1 \int_{\phi} f(\tau_2) g(t+\phi-\tau_2) d\tau_2 d\phi
    [/tex]

But now I am stuck. How should I bring both f into one integral? Both are functions of a differerent variable and [itex]\int f(x)dx \cdot \int f(x)dx \neq \int f(x)\cdot f(x) dx[/itex]...

Thanks for any pointer...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't think the argument to g is right.

4. Feb 6, 2013 #3
    Hi, through you very much. But why? t-tau2 is from the convolution and (t+phi) because it is the 2nd operand for the x-correlation...

5. Feb 6, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Actually, the left hand integral in the same line was also wrong. Both must mention phi:
    ##h(t) = (f*g)(t) = \int_{\tau=0}^t f(\tau)g(t-\tau).d\tau##
    ##(h*h)(t) = \int_\phi h(\phi)h(t-\phi).d\phi = \int_{\phi=0}^t \left(\int_{\tau=0}^t f(\tau)g(\phi-\tau).d\tau\right)\left(\int_{\tau=0}^{t-\phi} f(\tau)g(t-\phi-\tau).d\tau\right).d\phi ##

6. Feb 6, 2013 #5

Mute

Homework Helper

Your second line should be ##(h \star h)(t)##, as it's a cross-correlation, so it's a plus ##\phi## in the integral arguments rather than a minus ##\phi##, and the limits are the real line:

$$(h \star h)(t) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty d\phi~ h(\phi)h(t+\phi) = \int_{\phi=-\infty}^\infty d\phi~ \left(\int_{\tau_1=0}^t d\tau_1~f(\tau_1)g(\phi-\tau_1)\right)\left(\int_{\tau_2=0}^{t+\phi} d\tau_2 f(\tau_2)g(t+\phi-\tau_2)\right). $$

7. Feb 6, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK, I missed the distinction in the signs, thanks. So the error in the OP is that ##f\left(t-\tau_1\right)## should have been ##f\left(\phi-\tau_1\right)##

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  8. Feb 7, 2013 #7
    Hi, thank you both of you! That's indeed a mistake.

However, I just don't see it, maybe I miss the forest for the trees (aehm, integrals ...)

In the end, I need to group both "g" and both "f" together into one integral.
    However f has distinct variables (tau1 and tau2).
    The g has even 4 (!) different variables: t, phi, tau1, tau2

I tried substitution, but I just can't get rid of them ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook