Integrals and Convolution: How to Group Multiple Functions Together?

In summary: Thanks for any pointers!In summary, the convolution of two functions is the integral of the products of the functions: \int_{\phi} \left(\int_{\tau_1} f(t - \tau_1) g(\tau_1) d\tau_1\right) \cdot \left(\int_{\tau_2} f(\tau_2) g(t+\phi-\tau_2) d\tau_2\right) d\phi
divB
Hi,

I shall show the following:

[tex]
(f*g) \star (f*g) = (f\star f)*(g\star g)
[/tex]

where [itex]*[/itex] denotes convolution and [itex]\star[/itex] cross-correlation. Writing this in terms of integral & regrouping:

[tex]
\int_{\phi} \left(\int_{\tau_1} f(t - \tau_1) g(\tau_1) d\tau_1\right) \cdot \left(\int_{\tau_2} f(\tau_2) g(t+\phi-\tau_2) d\tau_2\right) d\phi \\
= \int_{\tau_2} \int_{\tau_1} f(t - \tau_1) g(\tau_1) d\tau_1 \int_{\phi} f(\tau_2) g(t+\phi-\tau_2) d\tau_2 d\phi
[/tex]

But now I am stuck. How should I bring both f into one integral? Both are functions of a differerent variable and [itex]\int f(x)dx \cdot \int f(x)dx \neq \int f(x)\cdot f(x) dx[/itex]...

Thanks for any pointer...

Physics news on Phys.org
divB said:
[tex] \left(\int_{\tau_2} f(\tau_2) g(t+\phi-\tau_2) d\tau_2\right) d\phi [/tex]
I don't think the argument to g is right.

Hi, through you very much. But why? t-tau2 is from the convolution and (t+phi) because it is the 2nd operand for the x-correlation...

Actually, the left hand integral in the same line was also wrong. Both must mention phi:
##h(t) = (f*g)(t) = \int_{\tau=0}^t f(\tau)g(t-\tau).d\tau##
##(h*h)(t) = \int_\phi h(\phi)h(t-\phi).d\phi = \int_{\phi=0}^t \left(\int_{\tau=0}^t f(\tau)g(\phi-\tau).d\tau\right)\left(\int_{\tau=0}^{t-\phi} f(\tau)g(t-\phi-\tau).d\tau\right).d\phi ##

haruspex said:
Actually, the left hand integral in the same line was also wrong. Both must mention phi:
##h(t) = (f*g)(t) = \int_{\tau=0}^t f(\tau)g(t-\tau).d\tau##
##(h*h)(t) = \int_\phi h(\phi)h(t-\phi).d\phi = \int_{\phi=0}^t \left(\int_{\tau=0}^t f(\tau)g(\phi-\tau).d\tau\right)\left(\int_{\tau=0}^{t-\phi} f(\tau)g(t-\phi-\tau).d\tau\right).d\phi ##

Your second line should be ##(h \star h)(t)##, as it's a cross-correlation, so it's a plus ##\phi## in the integral arguments rather than a minus ##\phi##, and the limits are the real line:

$$(h \star h)(t) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty d\phi~ h(\phi)h(t+\phi) = \int_{\phi=-\infty}^\infty d\phi~ \left(\int_{\tau_1=0}^t d\tau_1~f(\tau_1)g(\phi-\tau_1)\right)\left(\int_{\tau_2=0}^{t+\phi} d\tau_2 f(\tau_2)g(t+\phi-\tau_2)\right). $$

Mute said:
Your second line should be ##(h \star h)(t)##, as it's a cross-correlation, so it's a plus ##\phi## in the integral arguments rather than a minus ##\phi##,
OK, I missed the distinction in the signs, thanks. So the error in the OP is that ##f\left(t-\tau_1\right)## should have been ##f\left(\phi-\tau_1\right)##

Last edited:
Hi, thank you both of you! That's indeed a mistake.

However, I just don't see it, maybe I miss the forest for the trees (aehm, integrals ...)

In the end, I need to group both "g" and both "f" together into one integral.
However f has distinct variables (tau1 and tau2).
The g has even 4 (!) different variables: t, phi, tau1, tau2

I tried substitution, but I just can't get rid of them ...

1. What is the purpose of sorting multiple integrals?

The purpose of sorting multiple integrals is to simplify the integration process by rearranging the order in which the integrals are evaluated. This can often lead to a more manageable integral and make the calculation easier to solve.

2. How do you determine the order in which to sort multiple integrals?

The order in which multiple integrals should be sorted depends on the specific problem and the variables involved. In most cases, it is best to start with the innermost integral and work your way outwards.

3. What are the different methods for sorting multiple integrals?

There are several methods for sorting multiple integrals, including the Fubini's theorem, the change of variables method, and the use of symmetry. Each method has its advantages and may be more suitable for certain types of integrals.

4. Can sorting multiple integrals affect the final result?

Yes, sorting multiple integrals can affect the final result. In some cases, sorting may lead to a simpler integral that can be solved more easily. However, in other cases, sorting may change the value of the integral, so it is important to carefully consider the order in which the integrals are sorted.

5. Is sorting multiple integrals always necessary?

No, sorting multiple integrals is not always necessary. In some cases, the integral may already be in the most simplified form and sorting would not change the result. It is important to evaluate each integral on a case-by-case basis and determine if sorting is necessary for the specific problem at hand.