Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Soul Quest

1. Sep 9, 2011 #1
    I just got hired part time at a software company. I'm a student, and I'm not an experienced programmer, but I like doing it when I am not over my head, and I can see how people are drawn to the positive aspects of a career in software/computing.

The problem is that it's not always exciting, and when I feel like I'm just punching the clock I wonder what life would be like in the sciences. I've considered Computer Engineering as a major, based on a co-worker's recommendation (she says don't waste your time with engineering, just get your CS or CE degree and get to work). Before I wanted to be an engineer and work outside a lot and with my hands, now I can't decide between Physics, ME, or CE. I'm sure computing works its way into all of these fields, and I don't know if I could really just code for the rest of my life. It does seem to afford some good luxuries though, and the hours are a bit flexible. I've also considered trying to be an engineer working with oceanographers and other marine scientists. Any students/professionals with experience relevant to this "question"?.

Thanks

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted