1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Soul Quest

1. Sep 9, 2011 #1
    I just got hired part time at a software company. I'm a student, and I'm not an experienced programmer, but I like doing it when I am not over my head, and I can see how people are drawn to the positive aspects of a career in software/computing.

The problem is that it's not always exciting, and when I feel like I'm just punching the clock I wonder what life would be like in the sciences. I've considered Computer Engineering as a major, based on a co-worker's recommendation (she says don't waste your time with engineering, just get your CS or CE degree and get to work). Before I wanted to be an engineer and work outside a lot and with my hands, now I can't decide between Physics, ME, or CE. I'm sure computing works its way into all of these fields, and I don't know if I could really just code for the rest of my life. It does seem to afford some good luxuries though, and the hours are a bit flexible. I've also considered trying to be an engineer working with oceanographers and other marine scientists. Any students/professionals with experience relevant to this "question"?.

Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted