Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound absorption

1. Nov 19, 2008 #1
    hey,
    I'm starting this experiment regarding Sound absorption, and im having a little trouble finding sufficient research to describe the physics behind it. Basically, I have a wooden chamber, which i will be testing inside. I will have a signal generator at one end, and a microphone hooked up to an osilliscope, in order to see differences in amplitudes. What i'm testing is how the density and shape of a material(im testing three types of foam, and the empty chamber) affect the amount of sound absorbed. If anyone can help me tie this in more with actual theory, and/or think of any other possible ways to analyze the resulting sound wave it would be a great help. At the end of the experiment i will be writing a 4000 word essay about what I did for my physics course. Anyways, thanks alot
    peace

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2008 #2
  4. Aug 3, 2010 #3
    hello sir
    i am a designer basically in to Diesel generators. we are starting freshely in to market and i am struggling to design of sound proof cannopy for desiel generator .so please suggest some sites or formulas and what is the starting point of designing of this cannopy.

5. Aug 25, 2010 #4
    If you mean what type of element absorbs most sound it will probably be the thickest foam, and least empty chamber because as a violinist i can say wood is a very good sound conductor. Maybe a bad choice of chamber:/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?