What Are the Different Dimensions of Sound and How Can They Be Distinguished?

In summary, sound is a form of energy that travels in waves through different mediums and is perceived by the human ear. The three dimensions of sound are pitch, volume, and timbre, and it is measured in decibels. Sound travels through compressing and expanding molecules in the medium and is perceived by the human ear through a complex process involving the outer, middle, and inner ear.
Peaweatherwax
What is the nature of sound in each dimension e.d 1D, 2D, etc and how can one be differentiated from the other. I do not seek formulas just a straight forward explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks jedishrfu, I did stumble upon that article but what I require is someone to explain that to me. :)

1. What is sound?

Sound is a form of energy that travels in waves through different mediums, such as air, water, or solids. It is caused by vibrations or disturbances in the medium, and can be perceived by the human ear.

2. What are the three dimensions of sound?

The three dimensions of sound are pitch, volume, and timbre. Pitch is determined by the frequency of the sound waves, volume is determined by the amplitude of the sound waves, and timbre is determined by the quality or characteristics of the sound.

3. How is sound measured?

Sound is measured in units called decibels (dB). The scale ranges from 0 dB, which is the threshold of hearing, to 120 dB, which is the threshold of pain. The louder the sound, the higher the decibel level.

4. How does sound travel through different mediums?

Sound travels through different mediums by compressing and expanding the molecules in the medium. In air, sound waves travel in all directions, while in solids, sound waves travel faster and in a more direct path.

5. How does the human ear perceive sound?

The human ear perceives sound through a complex process involving the outer, middle, and inner ear. The outer ear collects sound waves and directs them to the eardrum, which then vibrates. The middle ear amplifies these vibrations and sends them to the inner ear, where they are converted into electrical signals and sent to the brain for interpretation.