1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound and power along the xaxis

1. Sep 11, 2008 #1
    Two sources of sound are located on the x axis, and each unit emits power uniformly in all directions. There are no reflections. One source is positioned at the origin and the other at x = +164 m. The source at the origin emits four times as much power as the other source. (a) At which location between the two sources on the x axis are the two sounds equal in intensity? (b) At which location to the right of the source at 164 m on the x axis are the two sounds equal in intensity? Describe the locations by giving the distance from the origin.

I attempted to solve this multiple times and it is incorrect each and every time.

I made the origin I1, followed by the +164 I2, and I3 the location to the right

I set I1 and I2 equal to each other by

P1/4pi(164 + d)squared = P2/4pi(164 + d)squared

P2/P1= dsquared/ (164+d)squared

4P2/P1= dsquared/ (164+d)squared

1/4= (164-d)squared/ dsquared

(164+d/d)squared=(1/2)squared

164 + d/d= +-1/2

i solved and got d equal to -290 and -96.667 and these were wrongg so i dont know what i did

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this. If there are only two sources, why do you need an [tex]I_3[/tex]? What is the intensity at the point x, due to (a)the source at the origin (b) the source at x=164 (c)both sources combined?

The method of setting [tex]I_1[/tex] and [tex]I_2[/tex] is correct, but your expressions for [tex]I_1[/tex] and [tex]I_2[/tex] are not. For [tex]I_1[/tex], is the distance from the origin to the point [tex]x=d[/tex] really [tex]164 +d[/tex]? Why wouldn't it just be [tex]{\Delta}x=d-0=d[/tex]? And for [tex]I_2[/tex] what is the distance from the point [tex]x=164[/tex] to the point [tex]x=d[/tex]?

This doesn't look right, the proper way to simplify [tex]\frac{P_2}{P_1}[/tex] would be to substitute in the equation [tex]P_1=4P_2[/tex] as follows: [tex]\frac{P_2}{P_1}=\frac{P_2}{4P_2}=\frac{1}{4}[/tex]

Once you correct these mistakes, you should get the right answer. Try again and if you still have problems post your new attempt and I will go over it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?