Hearing in Space: Can You Hear a Vacuum?

In summary: Sure. That's certainly possible. And, given the distance between our Earth and our sun, even with some type of atmosphere in-between many sounds would not reach us.However, on the sun there are really BIG explosions, many times the size of our earth!So, with senstive instruments, under those conditions one "might" be able to hear a low-level hum.
Vorbis
Hello again :smile: To my understanding, sound is vibrating particles in the air. Does that mean that in Space you can't hear anything because its mainly a vacuum?

Physics news on Phys.org
In space, no one can hear you scream!

theneedtoknow said:
In space, no one can hear you scream!

That is fascinating! scary too :smile:

Well, in one sense it's true but in another it's not.

For example, if you were outside a spaceship and rang a simple bell, that sound would not propagate.

However, if while outside you set-off a gaseous explosion, the expanding gases would provide a medium for sound waves.
In other words, if 2 spacecraft were relatively close to each other and one exploded, the violently expanding gases and materials impacting the second craft would most definately be "heard" by those inside when the vibrational impact affects the hull and then the air inside the second craft.

pallidin said:
Well, in one sense it's true but in another it's not.

For example, if you were outside a spaceship and rang a simple bell, that sound would not propagate.

However, if while outside you set-off a gaseous explosion, the expanding gases would provide a medium for sound waves.
In other words, if 2 spacecraft were relatively close to each other and one exploded, the violently expanding gases and materials impacting the second craft would most definately be "heard" by those inside when the vibrational impact affects the hull and then the air inside the second craft.

That makes sense. If there was an atmosphere that extended from Earth to the sun so there was no vacuum between us, would we hear the sun boiling or is the sun just to far away to hear regardless?

Yes, we would hear it!

The variations would take a very long time(many years I suppose) and would likely degrade/integrate into some sort of low-level "hum"

pallidin said:
Yes, we would hear it!

The variations would take a very long time(many years I suppose) and would likely degrade/integrate into some sort of low-level "hum"

That's weird. Then again what isn't?

Now my brain is hurting. Are vibrations in particles caused by other particles banging into them? Does sound genterate every time a particle vibrates?

Vorbis said:
Now my brain is hurting. Are vibrations in particles caused by other particles banging into them? Does sound genterate every time a particle vibrates?
Yes, but there isn't enough coordinated/coherent energy in those collisions to create audible sounds. The vibrations have to be in phase to cause your eardrum to vibrate.

In a way, though, the phenomena of sound and static air pressure are similar...

pallidin said:
Yes, we would hear it!

But would the vibrations stop after a few minutes to where the atoms can't collide to make a sound?

Vorbis said:
But would the vibrations stop after a few minutes to where the atoms can't collide to make a sound?

Sure. That's certainly possible. And, given the distance between our Earth and our sun, even with some type of atmosphere in-between many sounds would not reach us.

However, on the sun there are really BIG explosions, many times the size of our earth!
So, with senstive instruments, under those conditions one "might" be able to hear a low-level hum.

But with such distances involved, even with an atmosphere in-between, I don't have the math skills to validate my comment.

1. Can sound travel through a vacuum?

No, sound cannot travel through a vacuum. Sound is produced by the vibration of particles, and since a vacuum contains no particles, there is no medium for the sound to travel through.

2. If there is no sound in space, why do we hear noises in space movies?

In space movies, the noises are added for dramatic effect. In reality, there is no sound in the vacuum of space, so any sounds heard in space movies are not scientifically accurate.

3. Can astronauts hear each other in space?

Yes, astronauts can hear each other in space, but only if they are wearing a helmet or in a pressurized environment. The sound is transmitted through the vibrations of the helmet or spacecraft walls, not through the vacuum of space.

4. How do astronauts communicate in space?

Astronauts communicate in space through radio transmissions. They wear headsets with microphones and speak into a radio that is connected to their spacesuit or spacecraft. They can also communicate through hand signals and written notes.

5. Is there any way to hear sound in space?

Yes, there is a way to hear sound in space, but it requires special equipment. NASA has developed a technology called the "bone conduction microphone" which allows astronauts to hear sound by transmitting vibrations directly to their inner ear through their skull. However, this is not the same as hearing sound through the air, and it is only used for communication purposes.