Temperature & Sound: Does Hotter Equal Louder?

• Thread starter Wax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary: Not quite. Sound travels more 'energetically' in a dense medium, which is why you hear better under water. You will hear any sound louder in colder air. My reference to temperature of an explosion referred simply to the fact a higher temperature of conflagration results in a more energetic pressure wave. For sound speed in gases you have to take more than just density into account. The definition of sound speed is c = \sqrt{\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial \rho}\right)_{s}}which, for an ideal gas, becomesc = \sqrt{R\ T \frac{C_{p}}{C_{v}}}\
Wax
I was wondering how temperature can affect sound? I'm assuming the hotter the temperature then the louder the sound? Is this correct? Does anyone have a link that I could read more on this subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
In general terms, you have that backward. Colder, and therefore denser, air transmits sound more effectively than hotter air.
If, on the other hand, you refer to a higher temperature, and thus more engergetic, explosion that initiates the sound wave, then you are correct.

If you mean transmission of sound in gases, then it's also worth pointing out that sound travels faster with increasing temperature (other things being constant). It's proportional to the square root of the temperature in kelvin.

Danger said:
In general terms, you have that backward. Colder, and therefore denser, air transmits sound more effectively than hotter air.
If, on the other hand, you refer to a higher temperature, and thus more engergetic, explosion that initiates the sound wave, then you are correct.

Interesting, why is there a difference? So if I drop a brick then it would be louder in cooler temperatures? On the other hand, if I light firecrackers then the sound would be louder in warmer temperatures?

Wax said:
Interesting, why is there a difference? So if I drop a brick then it would be louder in cooler temperatures? On the other hand, if I light firecrackers then the sound would be louder in warmer temperatures?

Not quite. Sound travels more 'energetically' in a dense medium, which is why you hear better under water. You will hear any sound louder in colder air.
My reference to temperature of an explosion referred simply to the fact a higher temperature of conflagration results in a more energetic pressure wave.

For sound speed in gases you have to take more than just density into account. The definition of sound speed is

[tex]c = \sqrt{\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial \rho}\right)_{s}}[/tex]

which, for an ideal gas, becomes

[tex]c = \sqrt{R\ T \frac{C_{p}}{C_{v}}[/tex]

So Stonebridge was correct when saying that the sound speed in air will increase with the square root of the air temperature.

1. How does temperature affect the loudness of sound?

The loudness of sound is directly related to the temperature of the medium through which it travels. As the temperature increases, the molecules in the medium vibrate faster and collide more frequently, resulting in a higher transmission speed of sound waves and thus a louder sound.

2. Is there a specific temperature at which sound is loudest?

There is no specific temperature at which sound is loudest, as the loudness of sound is affected by various factors such as the type of medium, distance from the source, and the frequency of the sound wave. However, in general, sound tends to be louder in warmer temperatures due to the increased molecular vibrations.

3. How does temperature affect the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is directly proportional to the temperature of the medium it travels through. As the temperature increases, the molecules in the medium vibrate faster and the speed of sound increases. This is why sound travels faster in warmer temperatures compared to colder temperatures.

4. Can temperature affect the pitch of sound?

Yes, temperature can affect the pitch of sound. As the temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases, which can cause a higher frequency sound wave to be perceived as a higher pitch. This is why sounds may seem higher pitched on a hot day compared to a cold day.

5. How does temperature affect the quality of sound?

The temperature of the medium can affect the quality of sound in various ways. In warmer temperatures, the molecules in the medium are more spread out, resulting in a decrease in air density and a decrease in sound absorption. This can lead to a clearer and crisper sound compared to colder temperatures where the molecules are closer together and can absorb more sound waves, resulting in a muffled sound.