1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound and wave interference

1. Feb 15, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two trains approach the train station from opposite sides each moving at an initialvelocity of 120 km/h with respect to the station and slowing down to a halt in 20seconds. If both trains are whistling at 5000 Hz, find the distance between the zeroand first order maxima as a function of time.
    4-e89aee99f1.jpg

so this is the question:
    when they say zero and first order maxima they mean it only lies on the x axis right meaning the zero order maxima is at the centre of the two trains and the first order maxima is at distance d away where the extra length travelled is exactly a wavelength so i did the question just for the part when the trains are not decelerating ie t=0 and my solution does not match the given one please help or is the first order maxima in the y direction
    2. Relevant equations
    f = fo [c/c-v] --- doppler effect for train approaching
    c= 331m/s
    λ = c/f
    v = 120/3.6 m/s
    the given solution is at t =0 the distance between the zero and first order is 893/60000 m

3. The attempt at a solution
    the first order is offset to one side by distance d so
    2d is the extra length travelled the sound wave coming from the other side hence
    2d=λ
    2d = c/f
    2d = c(c-v)/(2c fo)
    plugging in gets me 893/30000 which is twice of correct answer please help

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

True, but doesn't the one from the opposite side travel over a little less distance ?

4. Feb 15, 2017 #3
    i am sorry i dont get what you mean could please explain your point thanks

5. Feb 15, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Make a drawing and you'll see it more easily. Constructive interference occurs where one wave travels ##{1\over 2}\lambda ## further and the other ##{1\over 2}\lambda ## less.

6. Feb 15, 2017 #5
    oh i see it now thanks so much !!!!

7. Feb 15, 2017 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're welcome :smile:

8. Feb 15, 2017 #7
    no wait sir i did what you said and all of a sudden i am confused again as i once again get d =λ/2 please enlighten me as if one wave were to travel 1/2λ lesser it implies that that is d

9. Feb 15, 2017 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I made the drawing and find I have to correct myself: not ##{1\over 2}\lambda## but ##{1\over 4}\lambda## ... o:)

Can you see why ?

(It's astounding to see how much more instructive an animated picture is wrt one on paper ! How wonderful all these newfangled technologies o0) )

10. Feb 16, 2017 #9
    thank you sir i figured out my mistake i was all along using cos graph for both side only to realise that when the two cos graphs collide they will super pose to zero at every point i should have used cos graph on one side and -cos graph on the other side and then your 1/4λ thing works thanks for your troubles really appreciate it !!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted