1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound barrier

1. Sep 2, 2009 #1
    Call me crazy, but my fiance has been watching a lot of UFO stuff lately. I am extremely skeptical, but it put a question into my head, that I can not seem to find an answer to in my random searches on google.

Can an object that makes no sound while accelerating create a sonic boom when breaking the sound barrier?

Whenever I read about the sound barrier I find lots of answers on physics theory, calculations, examples, pictures, etc. All things that I have found refer to aircraft breaking the speed of sound. Well we all know how loud planes are, and I can understand the loud sound when a sound is generated by the aircraft itself.

But what about, theoretically, a propulsion system that is completely silent? Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2009 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to Physics Forums.

You should note that the creation of a sonic boom has nothing what-so-ever to do with propulsion system of an object. A sonic boom is a result of was is termed a shock. This shock is formed from the pressure waves created by the object simply moving through the air.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_boom#Causes for more information.

4. Sep 2, 2009 #3
    Thanks. I guess I just didnt read far enough down on the wiki page. :) Either way I found the Physics Forum in the process!

5. Sep 2, 2009 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome aboard! It's good to have you here :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook