Finding Cheap Sound Decoder IC for Human Voice

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a speaker and sound decoder chip for transmitting digital signals into audio. The person is having difficulty finding a suitable and affordable part for their project and is seeking advice from experts on how to proceed. They mention previous attempts with limited memory and poor quality audio and ask for suggestions on how to record and play back voice phrases using an embedded circuit.
taupune
Hi,
I am thinking on working on a project where I would make use of a speaker and sound decoder chip , to transmit digital signal into audio.

I am at a problem at part selection. I can't seem to find the right part for the job. I just need the part to be cheap, less than $5 and work on human voice only, no music. I have been searching on mouser and digikey but no luck. The data sheets say the parts are used as multiplexer and/or amplifier.

I don't have much knowledge at this subject, voice thingy and I don't think I have enough time to study graduate level books all by myself. Any crash course or VERY useful introduction book from the experts in the field?

I have had some people buy some boards and a sound chip and they could listen to their speech, but it was only for 30 sec recording, and the quality was horrible. I don't have any limited memory. The design would be an embedded system.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
44.1kHz is a standard sampling rate for audio CDs, so you just need to build a DAC circuit (8-bit should be fine) to take in recorded bytes at that frequency from memory, and drive them out to the analog speaker preamplifier. I've done it before, and it can be a pretty simple circuit, especially if you have as much memory as you say you have.

You can use a laptop to record the 44.1kHz audio of your voice and store it as 8-bit data. Then transfer that data to your embedded memory via a USB stick or whatever, and use your embedded circuit to play back whichever voice phrases you choose. I build such an embedded circuit one time for an elevator speaker system -- the standard phrases announced which floor the elevator car was arriving at. It could also have been used for standard emergency announcements if needed. :smile:

1. How do I find a cheap sound decoder IC for human voice?

To find a cheap sound decoder IC for human voice, you can start by researching different electronic component suppliers and comparing prices. You can also consider purchasing from online marketplaces or looking for deals and discounts. Additionally, considering the specifications and features of the IC can help you determine which one will be the most cost-effective for your needs.

2. What factors should I consider when looking for a cheap sound decoder IC for human voice?

Some important factors to consider when looking for a cheap sound decoder IC for human voice include the IC's compatibility with your existing system, its features and capabilities, its quality and reliability, and its price. It's also important to consider the supplier's reputation and customer reviews.

3. Can I get a high-quality sound decoder IC for human voice at a low price?

Yes, it is possible to find a high-quality sound decoder IC for human voice at a low price. However, it may require some research and comparison shopping to find the best deal. Additionally, considering the specifications and features of the IC can help you determine its value and whether it is worth the price.

4. Are there any recommended brands or models for cheap sound decoder ICs for human voice?

There is no one specific brand or model that is recommended for cheap sound decoder ICs for human voice. It ultimately depends on your specific needs and budget. It's important to research and compare different options to find the best fit for your requirements.

5. What are some potential drawbacks of using a cheap sound decoder IC for human voice?

Some potential drawbacks of using a cheap sound decoder IC for human voice may include lower quality sound output, compatibility issues with other components, and shorter lifespan compared to more expensive options. It's important to carefully consider these potential drawbacks and weigh them against your budget and needs before making a purchase decision.