Can Sound Rise Like Heat? Searching for Answers...

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between sound and heat. While sound is directional and carries energy, it does not rise like heat due to its dependence on pressure fluctuations in a medium. However, in a medium with a temperature gradient, sound waves can bend towards the colder part, demonstrating the effect of temperature on sound waves.
hyeclass
i have been searching for something i am positively sure about but I've been told that i am wrong, i couldn't find anything on the internet...so i thought this to be the best way to find some answers to my question...

is it true that sound ...also rises up like heat...?

pleas answer :)

thanks in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Sound is due to pressure fluctuations in a medium, i.e. air. It is omnidirectional if left to its own devices. Think of a stone being dropped in water.

hmm, and yet sound carries energy (kinetic, of the moving particles) given while producing the sound.

unlike heat (chaotic movement), sound is directional movement, consisting of wavefronts, and does not stay in one place (sound is heard outside the room where it was produced, disperses away)

Wow, I actually find myself (sort of) disagreeing with a Science Advisor here. :wink:

In a medium with a temperature gradient (for example, a mass of air that is hotter at the bottom than the top), sound waves tend to bend toward the colder part. Why? Because the speed of sound varies with temperature! Cooler air conducts sound more slowly. Therefore, if air closer to the ground is warmer, then sound waves will bend upward. If air closer to the ground is cooler, sound waves will bend downwards, and will even bounce along the ground as shown here: http://www.physics.uiowa.edu/adventure/spr_2006/feb_4-06.html (scroll down to "refraction")

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can sound really rise like heat?

Yes, sound can rise like heat. This phenomenon is known as sound refraction, which occurs when sound waves travel through air of varying temperatures. Just like how light waves can bend when passing through different mediums, sound waves can also bend when traveling through air of different temperatures.

2. Why does sound rise like heat?

Sound rises like heat due to differences in air density. When air is heated, it becomes less dense and rises, while cooler air sinks. This difference in air density causes sound waves to bend and travel in a curved path, similar to how heat causes air to rise in convection currents.

3. Is sound refraction affected by humidity?

Yes, humidity can also affect sound refraction. This is because humid air is less dense than dry air, causing sound waves to travel at a slightly faster speed. As a result, sound waves may bend differently in humid conditions, leading to changes in sound refraction.

4. Can sound rise upwards indefinitely?

No, sound cannot rise upwards indefinitely. Eventually, the sound waves will dissipate, and the sound will fade away. This is because sound waves require a medium to travel through, and as they travel, they lose energy and become quieter until they eventually disappear.

5. How is sound refraction used in everyday life?

Sound refraction is used in various applications, such as in the design of concert halls and auditoriums, where it is used to enhance acoustics and improve sound quality. It is also used in weather forecasting, as changes in air temperature and humidity can affect the path of sound waves, which can be used to predict weather patterns.