Calculating Sound Energy & Intensity: A Scientist's Approach

In summary, the sound wave with an intensity level of 80.1 dB incident on an eardrum of area 0.600 * 10^-4 m^2 will absorb 1.47 * 10^-6 J of energy in 4.00 minutes in microJ. Additionally, the sound level 25.0 m from a loudspeaker with a reference intensity of 10^-12 W/m^2 and a sound intensity level of 69.0 dB will produce a rate of 7.85 * 10^-9 J/s of sound energy, assuming it is an isotropic source.
dnl65078

Homework Statement

a)A sound wave with an intensity level of 80.1 dB is incident on an eardrum of area 0.600 10-4 m2. Calculate the energy is absorbed by the eardrum in 4.00 minutes in microJ

b)The sound level 25.0 m from a loudspeaker is 69.0 dB. Calculate the rate at which sound energy is produced by the loudspeaker, assuming it to be an isotropic source.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We know tha the refernece intensity (I0) = 10-12W/m2
We know that sound intensity level is
β = 10dB log (I/Io)
Then 80.1dB = 10dB log (I/Io)
8.01 = log (I/Io)
Now finding I then substitue in the equation
I =P/A
= E/AΔt
Then the area covered by the sound is
A = 0.600 10-4 m2.
Then energy is absorbed by the eardrum in 4.00 minutes ( i.e 4*60s = 240s) in μJ.
E = IAΔt

I got 1.44x10-14 (which ended up being wrong))b)
We know tha the refernece intensity (I0) = 10-12W/m2
We know that sound intensity level is
β = 10dB log (I/Io)
Then 69dB = 10dB log (I/Io)
6.9 = log (I/Io)
Now finding I then substitue in the equation
I =P/A
Then the area covered by the sound is
A = 4π(25.0m)2
= 7850m2
Now the total power of the source is
P = IA in W Or J/s

I got 7.85x10-9 please help. what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation in a) looks correct, although I got 1.47... x 10-6 J. Did you round before your final answer? Also, how did you get a 10-14, are you sure you did not go from J to MJ instead of the other way around?

I'll let you check b) again then, probably it's a similar mistake.

What is sound energy?

Sound energy is a form of energy that is created by vibrations. These vibrations travel through a medium, such as air or water, and are detected by our ears as sound. Sound energy can also be converted into other forms of energy, such as electrical energy.

How is sound energy produced?

Sound energy is produced when an object vibrates, creating waves of energy that travel through a medium. These vibrations can be caused by a variety of sources, such as vocal cords, musical instruments, or even everyday objects like doors or cars.

What is sound intensity?

Sound intensity is a measure of how loud a sound is. It is measured in decibels (dB) and is directly related to the amount of energy in a sound wave. The higher the intensity, the louder the sound. Sounds with intensities above 85 dB can be harmful to our ears.

How does sound intensity affect our perception of sound?

Sound intensity directly affects the loudness of a sound. As the intensity increases, the sound will be perceived as louder. However, our perception of sound is also affected by other factors such as frequency and distance from the source of the sound.

How does sound energy travel through different mediums?

Sound energy can travel through solids, liquids, and gases. In solids, such as walls or floors, sound travels through the molecules vibrating against each other. In liquids, such as water, sound travels through the molecules compressing and expanding. In gases, such as air, sound travels through the molecules colliding with each other and creating waves of energy.