Calculating Sound Intensity 24 m from a Loudspeaker

In summary, the question is asking for the rate at which sound energy is produced by an isotropic source that is 24 meters away from a loudspeaker with a sound level of 66 dB. The solution involves understanding sound intensity, its units, and calculating the surface area at 24 meters for an expanding sound sphere. The dB must also be converted to a linear scale to determine the power in Watts.
Jtappan

Homework Statement

The sound level 24 m from a loudspeaker is 66 dB. What is the rate at which sound energy is produced by the loudspeaker, assuming it to be an isotropic source?

____W

Homework Equations

?

Something to do with Intensity?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to begin on this problem. My book doesn't describe any problems that are related to distance nor does it have any equations that are related to distance.

Physics news on Phys.org
This tests your understanding of "sound intensity", nature of sound propagation, and a bit of math.

What is sound intensity? What are its units? (hint: W/area).

At 24 meters, what is the surface area if sound radiates isotropically (i.e. like an expanding sphere).

You'll have to convert from the dB to linear scale to get power in Watts.

I would first start by defining some terms and concepts that are relevant to this problem. Sound intensity is a measure of the amount of sound energy passing through a unit area per unit time. It is usually measured in watts per square meter (W/m^2). In this case, the sound level of 66 dB is a measure of the sound pressure level, which is a logarithmic scale used to describe the intensity of sound.

To solve this problem, we can use the equation for sound intensity:

I = P/A

where I is the sound intensity, P is the sound power, and A is the area over which the sound is spread. In this case, we are given the distance from the loudspeaker (24 m) but not the area. To find the area, we can use the formula for the surface area of a sphere:

A = 4πr^2

where r is the radius of the sphere. In this case, the loudspeaker can be approximated as an isotropic source, meaning it radiates sound equally in all directions. Therefore, the radius of the sphere would be 24 m.

Now, we can substitute these values into the equation for sound intensity:

I = P/4πr^2

To solve for P, we can rearrange the equation to:

P = I*4πr^2

Substituting in the given value for sound intensity (66 dB or 10^-6 W/m^2) and the distance (24 m), we get:

P = (10^-6 W/m^2)*4π*(24 m)^2

P = 9.07 W

Therefore, the rate at which sound energy is produced by the loudspeaker is approximately 9.07 watts. Keep in mind that this is an approximation as we are assuming the loudspeaker is an isotropic source and not accounting for any other factors that may affect the sound intensity at a distance of 24 m.

1. What is sound intensity?

Sound intensity is the amount of sound energy that passes through a given area in a specific amount of time. It is measured in watts per square meter (W/m²).

2. How is sound intensity different from sound pressure?

Sound intensity and sound pressure are two different ways of measuring the same phenomenon: sound. Sound intensity measures the amount of energy, while sound pressure measures the strength or force of the sound waves.

3. How is the sound intensity level (SIL) calculated?

The sound intensity level is calculated using the formula SIL = 10 log (I/I₀), where I is the sound intensity being measured and I₀ is the reference sound intensity of 10⁻¹² W/m².

4. Why is sound intensity measured in decibels (dB)?

Sound intensity is measured in decibels because it allows for a more practical and manageable scale. The range of human hearing is so large that using a linear scale would result in very large and difficult to work with numbers.

5. How can I calculate the sound intensity 24 m from a loudspeaker?

To calculate the sound intensity 24 m from a loudspeaker, you will need to know the sound intensity at the source, as well as the sound intensity decay rate (usually given in dB/m). You can then use the inverse square law, which states that sound intensity decreases by a factor of 1/distance², to calculate the intensity at 24 m.