Sound Engineering Solutions for Robert's Experiment

In summary: When the timer goes off, the sound from the powered speaker will come on and play until the timer goes off again, at which point the sound from the boombox will resume. This should work better than the method of taping the play button down, as it will keep playing even if you forget to tape the button down.
BirdBrained
Hi All,

I'm an ecology graduate student trying to do a bit of electrical engineering and having zero success. The goal: broadcast bird songs for about 6 hours each morning for an experiment I'm doing, preferably somewhat autonomously so I can have sufficient replication.

I have a mini boombox connected to a 12V marine battery with an on/off timer in between. The problem is, when the timer interrupts power and then returns it to the boombox, I have to press the play button to start the track playing again (and if I leave the button taped down, it pauses play on the boombox). So my first question is: does anyone have an idea of how to design something that can make noise for 6 hours, then stop, then start again the next day better than this design? Alternatively, are there any "fixes" that would get around the fact that I need to press the play button every time power is returned to the system?

I realize this question might be a bit more involved than is appropriate for this forum, but I'm just looking for some ideas. Thanks.

--Robert

Engineering news on Phys.org
A PC or laptop with an alarm program and a 6 hour auto shut-off? A mac mini works pretty well, and you can use an Automator script to start up the computer, play an MP3 for a few hours, and then go back to sleep. There's also an alarm program called Alarm Clock 2 that does most of the above.
http://www.robbiehanson.com/alarmclock/index.html

If you're using a windows machine, you can dump an MP3 (or suitably modified link to, say, Winamp) in the Startup folder so it starts it up automatically after booting. You'd have to configure the bios to start automatically on power availability (some bioses have this setting available). Then you could continue using your timer.

I'm sure there's something better and more configurable, and already included in some distribution of Linux or other, but this is just what I know.

BirdBrained said:
Hi All,

I'm an ecology graduate student trying to do a bit of electrical engineering and having zero success. The goal: broadcast bird songs for about 6 hours each morning for an experiment I'm doing, preferably somewhat autonomously so I can have sufficient replication.

I have a mini boombox connected to a 12V marine battery with an on/off timer in between. The problem is, when the timer interrupts power and then returns it to the boombox, I have to press the play button to start the track playing again (and if I leave the button taped down, it pauses play on the boombox). So my first question is: does anyone have an idea of how to design something that can make noise for 6 hours, then stop, then start again the next day better than this design? Alternatively, are there any "fixes" that would get around the fact that I need to press the play button every time power is returned to the system?

I realize this question might be a bit more involved than is appropriate for this forum, but I'm just looking for some ideas. Thanks.

--Robert

Had to think about this one a bit, but how about this...

Plug a powered speaker (like from a PC, or a better quality one) into the headphone output of the boombox. That should kill the boombox speakers, and route the sound out the powered speaker. Just put your timer switch on the powered speaker power input, and let the boombox run all the time.

What is the purpose of sound engineering in Robert's experiment?

The purpose of sound engineering in Robert's experiment is to manipulate and control sound in order to achieve desired results and gather accurate data.

How does sound engineering contribute to the success of Robert's experiment?

Sound engineering plays a crucial role in the success of Robert's experiment by ensuring that all sound-related variables are controlled and accounted for, allowing for accurate and reliable results.

What are some common challenges in sound engineering for Robert's experiment?

Some common challenges in sound engineering for Robert's experiment may include background noise, interference, and equipment malfunctions.

What techniques are commonly used in sound engineering for Robert's experiment?

Common techniques used in sound engineering for Robert's experiment may include soundproofing, equalization, and filtering.

How do sound engineering solutions differ between different experiments?

Sound engineering solutions may differ between different experiments depending on the specific needs and goals of each experiment. Some may require more advanced techniques or specialized equipment, while others may only need simple adjustments.