Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound Experiment

1. Nov 4, 2004 #1
    Sound Experiment......

What experiment could you perform to find the frequency of a sound wave? I thought that you could calculate the speed of sound though hitting sticks and hearing echo, etc, and then using the v = f*lambda formula to find frequency - but how would you find the wavelength to calculate the frquency?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

http://physics.nku.edu/GeneralLab/211 Speed of sound -tube.html

4. Nov 5, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I found that rather then slowly and painstakingly searching for a resonance point it may be best to simply let the water fall. As the water level drops through a resonance it will be quite noticeable make a quick mark to indicate the level of the water. Repeat this process several times. you will have a group of marks which indicate a resonance, this gives you a average and error bounds. What more could you ask for.

This can be a very quick experiment, done my way, so do lots of repetitions listening to a locating resonances.

We replaced the tunning fork with a small speaker and a signal generator, so we had a continuous source of sound.
  5. Nov 5, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Would it be cheating to use a microphone and send the signal to a spectrum analyzer ? :smile:
  6. Nov 5, 2004 #5
    Thats the way I'd do it.

Can you 'cheat' if you get a valid result?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?