1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound Experiment

1. Nov 4, 2004 #1
    Sound Experiment......

What experiment could you perform to find the frequency of a sound wave? I thought that you could calculate the speed of sound though hitting sticks and hearing echo, etc, and then using the v = f*lambda formula to find frequency - but how would you find the wavelength to calculate the frquency?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2004 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

http://physics.nku.edu/GeneralLab/211 Speed of sound -tube.html

Zz.

4. Nov 5, 2004 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I found that rather then slowly and painstakingly searching for a resonance point it may be best to simply let the water fall. As the water level drops through a resonance it will be quite noticeable make a quick mark to indicate the level of the water. Repeat this process several times. you will have a group of marks which indicate a resonance, this gives you a average and error bounds. What more could you ask for.

This can be a very quick experiment, done my way, so do lots of repetitions listening to a locating resonances.

We replaced the tunning fork with a small speaker and a signal generator, so we had a continuous source of sound.

5. Nov 5, 2004 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Would it be cheating to use a microphone and send the signal to a spectrum analyzer ? :smile:

6. Nov 5, 2004 #5
    Thats the way I'd do it.

Can you 'cheat' if you get a valid result?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?