Exploring the Possibility of Sound Beyond 20kHz: Vibrations & Frequencies

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between vibrations, frequencies, and sound. It is noted that sound waves can reach frequencies beyond the human audible range, with examples such as dog whistles and ultrasonic devices. The use of ultrasonics in an experiment involving finding a hole in a block of aluminum is also mentioned. However, it is clarified that EM waves are different from sound waves and cannot be seen when their frequency reaches that of light.
Evilinside
I'm currently studying vibrations and frequencies. I know that humans can hear from a range of 20Hz-20kHz. I was wondering if sound energy could reach a frequency where it was no longer really sound. Is this possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sound waves are simply molecular vibrations which propagate with a certain velocity and have frequencies in the range 20 Hz-->20KHz.The essential defining part is the frequency.I don't see the relevence of energy (proportional to the sq.of the wave amplitude) in this matter.

Daniel.

As the waves get into higher and higher frequencies, they are not auditble anymore. however they can get visible, when the frequency reaches that of light.

amt said:
As the waves get into higher and higher frequencies, they are not auditble anymore. however they can get visible, when the frequency reaches that of light.

aka the electromagnetic spectrum - :smile: - also, what you said is really only true in low level physics :rofl:

Do not confuse mechanical sound waves with electromagnetic waves they are very different animals. Yes sound waves exist above the range we can hear. For examples, a dog whistle, since dogs and many other animals can hear much higher frequencies then men (or women) they respond to the whistle while we hear nothing. Even more important then that is the entire field of ultrasonics. Jewelers use ultra sonics in baths to clean rings, your digital camera uses ultra sonics to focus. There are lots of other applications for, and examples of, ultrasonic devices.

im doing an experiment on ultrasonics. i have to find out where ther's a hole in a block of aluminium. what should i expect to see on the oscilloscope and how can i measure the size of the hole from my data? it says on another site there should be impedence i.e a disturbance but I am not really noticing much. also can anyone give me formulas for percentage error accuracy error and random error in calculations

I know that in at least some substances, acoustical waves can only propagate when they are below a certain frequency.

amt said:

i want to ask you about this quote how couls you say "however they can get visible, when the frequency reaches that of light" i beleve it but can you give me some prof about it be i have to reply to some one

my email :- oum_ganeshansh1@yahoo.co.in

Vinek said:
i want to ask you about this quote how couls you say "however they can get visible, when the frequency reaches that of light" i beleve it but can you give me some prof about it be i have to reply to some one

There is no proof because it's not true. As Integral said, EM waves are very different from sound waves. Long wave radio goes down as far as 148.5 kHz, interference from power lines at 60 and 50 Hz is common, and ELF radio communications in the tens of Hz were used with submarines. Ultrasound easily goes through the kHz range into the MHz, and in some cases into the GHz or even THz range. Sound waves and EM waves can easily be created with identical frequencies, but they will still clearly be different phenomena.

1. What is the significance of exploring sound beyond 20kHz?

The human ear is limited in its ability to detect sound frequencies above 20kHz. However, there is evidence that other animals and organisms can perceive and produce sounds at higher frequencies. By exploring these frequencies, we can gain a better understanding of the auditory capabilities of different species and potentially discover new forms of communication.

2. How do vibrations and frequencies play a role in this exploration?

Vibrations and frequencies are the building blocks of sound. By studying how vibrations and frequencies behave at higher levels, we can better understand how sound functions and how it can be perceived and produced beyond the range of human hearing.

3. What methods are used to explore sound beyond 20kHz?

There are various methods used to explore sound beyond 20kHz, including spectroscopy, acoustic microscopy, and high-speed video recording. These techniques allow scientists to visualize and analyze sound waves at different frequencies and gain a deeper understanding of their properties.

4. What potential applications can come from this research?

The research on sound beyond 20kHz has the potential to impact various fields, including biology, ecology, and technology. By understanding how different species use high-frequency sounds, we can develop new methods for communication and improve our understanding of the natural world. Additionally, this research can also lead to advancements in ultrasound technology and medical imaging.

5. Are there any limitations to exploring sound beyond 20kHz?

There are some limitations to exploring sound beyond 20kHz. One major limitation is the technology used to study these frequencies. Many instruments and recording devices are not capable of capturing or producing sounds at such high frequencies. Additionally, the human ear itself is not able to perceive sounds above 20kHz, so we must rely on other methods and technologies to study them.