Calculate Speed of Ambulance with Sound in Air Problem

• Thread starter Eclypse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Sound
In summary, the speed of the ambulance can be calculated using the equation FL = FS (v-vL/v-vS) with FL = 1261 Hz, FS = 1200 Hz, v = 353 m/s, vL = vs-2.8, and solving for vS. To account for the wind, subtract the wind velocity from both the ambulance and cyclist's velocities before using the Doppler equation, and then add the wind velocity back on. This will account for the wind and allow for a valid calculation of the ambulance's speed.
Eclypse
'An ambulance with a siren emitting a whine at 1200 Hz is catching up to a cyclist pedalling a bike in the same direction at 2.80 m/s. Before being passed, the cyclist hears a freqency of 1261 Hz. There is a wind of 10.0 m/s helping the cyclist along. The speed of sound in air is 343 m/s. Calculate the speed of the anbulance.'

Now i know the ambulance is the source and the cyclist is the listener. So i use the equation:

FL = FS (v-vL/v-vS)

FL = 1261 Hz
Fs = 1200 Hz
v = 343 + 10
vL = vs-2.8

and solve for vS, but i cannot get the right answer. My answer is always turning out to be 297 m/s which is definately wrong. Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong? any help would be appriciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm I am having a hard time reading you notation for nonrelativistic Doppler would be:
[tex]
f_{obs} = f_{source}\frac{1 \pm \frac{v_{obs}}{v_{sound}}}{1 \mp \frac{v_{source}}{v_{sound}}}
[/tex]
The top signs are uesed if approaching witch is the case so:
[tex]
f_{obs} = f_{source}\frac{1 + \frac{v_{obs}}{v_{sound}}}{1 - \frac{v_{source}}{v_{sound}}}
[/tex]
Now to get rid of the wind. Do not add the wind velocity to the seed of sound, after all it is only going faster in one direction. Rather try subtracting off the wind velocity from the both the ambulance and the biker. Then use the Doppler equation and then add the wind velocity back on.

By subtracting the winds velocity off the ambulance and biker velocities the air is consider to be still and only the biker and ambulance is moving. This is why it is then valid to use the above Doppler equation with airs normal vsound.

Does that make sense?

To calculate the speed of the ambulance, we can use the formula for the Doppler effect:

fL = fS (v + vL) / (v + vS)

Where:
fL = frequency heard by the listener (cyclist)
fS = frequency emitted by the source (ambulance)
v = speed of sound in air (343 m/s)
vL = speed of the listener (cyclist) (2.80 m/s)
vS = speed of the source (ambulance)

Substituting the given values:
1261 Hz = 1200 Hz (343 m/s + 2.80 m/s) / (343 m/s + vS)

Solving for vS, we get:
vS = 343 m/s + 2.80 m/s - 1200 Hz / 1261 Hz * (343 m/s)
= 345.8 m/s - 343 m/s
= 2.8 m/s

Therefore, the speed of the ambulance is 2.8 m/s. This may seem like a low speed for an ambulance, but keep in mind that the wind is also helping the cyclist along, making it easier for the ambulance to catch up.

What is the speed of sound in air?

The speed of sound in air is approximately 343 meters per second at room temperature and normal atmospheric pressure.

How does sound travel in air?

Sound travels through air in the form of a longitudinal wave, meaning the particles in the air vibrate in the same direction as the wave is moving.

What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the wave source. This causes a shift in perceived pitch or frequency of sound waves.

How can the speed of an ambulance be calculated using sound in air?

The speed of an ambulance can be calculated using the Doppler effect. By measuring the change in frequency of the siren's sound as it approaches and passes by an observer, the speed of the ambulance can be determined.

Are there any limitations to using sound to calculate the speed of an ambulance?

Yes, there are limitations to using sound to calculate the speed of an ambulance. Factors such as wind, temperature, and obstacles in the environment can affect the speed of sound and therefore impact the accuracy of the calculation. Additionally, the speed of the ambulance must be constant in order for the calculation to be accurate.