Investigating Beat Frequency in Pipes with Different Temperatures

In summary: When the two pipes are sounded together, the resulting beat frequency will be the difference between the two fundamental frequencies. This can be calculated using the formula fbeat = |f1 - f2|, where f1 and f2 are the fundamental frequencies of the two pipes. In this case, the beat frequency would be approximately 4 Hz.
BooGTS
Two pipes, equal in length, are each open at one end. Each has a fundamental frequency of 473 Hz at 297 K. In one pipe the air temperature is increased to 302 K. If the two pipes are sounded together, what beat frequency results?

I think I missed this day entirely due to another project. I know that when you have two frequencies, you cannot simply add them together. It also says "one pipe" but not which one? Apparently, it doesn't matter, but I don't see how you;d know when to use the formula Vair = 331 m/s * sq. rt. of (T/273).

thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone? *bump*

What the problem most likely means is that the temperature change will change the fundamental of one of the pipes. As a result, you'll get two different tones if you strike both pipes simultaneously. What is the frequency of the beat caused by the interfearance between the two?

BooGTS said:
Two pipes, equal in length, are each open at one end. Each has a fundamental frequency of 473 Hz at 297 K. In one pipe the air temperature is increased to 302 K. If the two pipes are sounded together, what beat frequency results?

I think I missed this day entirely due to another project. I know that when you have two frequencies, you cannot simply add them together. It also says "one pipe" but not which one? Apparently, it doesn't matter, but I don't see how you;d know when to use the formula Vair = 331 m/s * sq. rt. of (T/273).

thanks for any help!
The wavelength of the sound produced by the pipe is determined by its length. The frequency is determined by the speed of the sound wave in the pipe divided by the wavelength (this follows from the universal wave equation: [itex]\lambda f = v[/itex]).

So how is the speed, hence frequency, affected by this [itex]5 ^oK [/itex] temperature increase?

AM

1. What is the purpose of investigating beat frequency in pipes with different temperatures?

The purpose of this investigation is to understand the relationship between the temperature of a pipe and its beat frequency. This can provide insight into how temperature affects the behavior of sound waves in pipes and can have practical applications in fields such as acoustics and engineering.

2. How do you measure beat frequency in pipes?

Beat frequency in pipes can be measured by using a microphone to record the sound produced by the pipe and then analyzing the recording using software or by manually counting the number of beats heard in a given period of time. The beat frequency is the difference between the two frequencies produced by the two pipes.

3. What factors can affect beat frequency in pipes?

The main factor that affects beat frequency in pipes is the temperature of the pipe. As the temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases, resulting in a higher beat frequency. Other factors that may affect the beat frequency include the length and diameter of the pipe, as well as the material it is made of.

4. What are the potential applications of this investigation?

The results of this investigation can have practical applications in fields such as acoustics and engineering. For example, understanding how temperature affects the behavior of sound waves in pipes can help engineers design better acoustic systems or improve the efficiency of heating and cooling systems.

5. What are the limitations of this investigation?

One limitation of this investigation is that it only focuses on the relationship between temperature and beat frequency in pipes. Other factors that may affect the beat frequency, such as humidity or atmospheric pressure, are not taken into account. Additionally, the results may not be applicable to all types of pipes and may vary depending on the specific materials and dimensions of the pipes used in the experiment.