1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound Intensities

1. Apr 25, 2006 #1
    Does anyone know how to solve this ?

A group of people were exposed to 114 dB music for 60 minutes. Eleven of the 20 subjects showed a 17 dB reduction in hearing sensitivity at 4000 Hz. What is the intensity corresponding to the threshold of hearing for these people ? ( in W/m^2)

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The following information appears to be irrelevant:
    "A group of people were exposed to 114 dB music for 60 minutes."
    "Eleven of the 20 subjects"

We also do not know what their original hearing sensitivity at 4000 Hz was. People's hearing sensitivity varies. Are we supposed to guess?

Please check the question and provide all the information.

AM

4. Apr 26, 2006 #3
    Re

Threshold = 10^-12 ...thanks for the help!

5. Apr 26, 2006 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Normally, the threshold of hearing is at 0dB (so I= 10^-12 W/m^2). I assume that " a 17 dB reduction of hearing sensitivity" means that now their threshold of hearing is at 17dB. It is straightforward to calculate the intensity this corresponds to ([itex] \beta = 10 log({I \over 10^{-12} W/m^2}) [/itex]...the sound level is 17dB so you can solve for I). So if a sound wave has an intensity below the value calculated, they won't perceive the sound.

Patrick

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?