Sound Intensity: Thresholds of Hearing & Ratio Calculation

In summary, the conversation discussed the threshold of hearing for an average young person being 0 dB with a reference intensity of 1 × 10-12 W/m2. Person 1 and person 2, who are not average, have thresholds of hearing of β1 = -5.00 dB and β2 = +12.0 dB respectively. The question posed was the ratio I1/I2 of the sound intensity I1 when person 1 hears the sound at his own threshold of hearing compared to the sound intensity I2 when person 2 hears the sound at his own threshold of hearing. The attempt at a solution involved using the equation 12 - (-5) = 10 * log(I2/I1) and resulted
nuclear_nfl

Homework Statement

Using an intensity of 1 × 10-12 W/m2 as a reference, the threshold of hearing for an average young person is 0 dB. Person 1 and person 2, who are not average, have thresholds of hearing that are β1 = -5.00 dB and β2 = +12.0 dB. What is the ratio I1/I2 of the sound intensity I1 when person 1 hears the sound at his own threshold of hearing compared to the sound intensity I2 when person 2 hears the sound at his own threshold of hearing?

Homework Equations

12 - (-5) = 10 * log(I2/I1)

The Attempt at a Solution

17 = 10 * log(I2/I1)
1.7 = log(I2/I1)
I2/I1 = 10^1.7 = 50.12

I submitted this online and it says it is incorrect. Anyone able to see where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I1/I2 is the question.

ehild

1. What is sound intensity?

Sound intensity is the amount of energy that travels through a unit area in a specific amount of time. It is measured in watts per square meter (W/m²).

2. How is sound intensity related to loudness?

The perceived loudness of a sound is directly proportional to its intensity. This means that as the sound intensity increases, the loudness also increases.

3. What is the threshold of hearing?

The threshold of hearing is the minimum sound intensity that can be detected by the human ear. It is typically measured at 0 decibels (dB) on the sound intensity scale.

4. How is sound intensity calculated?

Sound intensity can be calculated using the formula I = P/A, where I is the sound intensity in watts per square meter, P is the sound power in watts, and A is the area in square meters.

5. What is the ratio between two sound intensities?

The ratio between two sound intensities is calculated using the formula L2/L1 = 10log(I2/I1), where L2 and L1 are the decibel values of the two sound intensities, and I2 and I1 are the corresponding intensities. This formula is known as the decibel scale and is used to compare the loudness of different sounds.