1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound Intensity and Frequency

1. Jan 23, 2006 #1
    Hello. I am totally stuck on this question. I don't even know where to begin. Any help would be appreciated:
    A spherical sound source is placed at P1 near a reflecting wall and a microphone is located at P2. The frequency of the sound source is variable. Find the two lowest frequencies for which the sound intensity, at P2, will be a maximum. There is no phase change on reflection; the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection. A diagram is attached.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2006 #2
    I haven't seen the sketch of the system, but I think I know how to solve this one. Try ignoring the reflective surface, and replace it with another sound source, identicle to the first, and place it so the middle of the line connecting the two sources would be on the reflecting surface boundry (the second source should look like a mirror-image of the first, when the mirror is set on the boundry of the reflecting surface). Then you're left with a simple two sources interference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?