Sound Intensity and Distance: Exploring the Limits of Human Hearing

In summary, the maximum distance that sound could theoretically be heard with a power source of 50W is 1994.7 km or 1994711.402 metres. This may seem unrealistic, but it is possible under perfect conditions. Factors such as other sources of noise, air friction, and obstructions can affect the intensity of sound over long distances.
hartraft
1. If the human ear can detect sound of an intensity of 10[tex]^{-12}[/tex] given a power source of 50W what is the maximum distance the sound could theoretically be heard

2. I = [tex]\frac{P}{A}[/tex]

A = 4[tex]\pi[/tex]r[tex]^{2}[/tex]

3. Just used first equation to get the area and from that the radius and therefore distance. Thought this was a really standard inverse square law question ( i still think it is). My problem is the answer I get. A distance of 1994.7 km or 1994711.402 metres. This seems mad. I worked out what the decibel equivalent of this power is and it came out to be around 136 dB. This is quieter than a jet engine. This would mean i could hear planes from Scotland by standing in cornwall given perfect conditions. Is this right

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums :smile: Your answer is correct, though I would be careful with the significant figures.

I agree that this result seems pretty fantastic. Some possible explanations why this doesn't seem to happen are:

1. Normally many things around us produce noise louder than 10-12 W/m2, in which case we would not notice sound of this level.
2. Sound gets absorbed due to air friction, so that over this distance it is actually weaker than what the inverse-square-law says.
3. Often, there could be some obstruction between yourself and something this far away: trees, hills, or buildings, for example. This would affect the intensity of the sound when it reaches you.

Thanks very much for the reply, that has put my mind to rest. I understood that the question was implying perfect conditions which could never be met, but the answer was such a surprise to me I wasn't sure to believe it. Now it's confirmed.

Thanks again

1. What is sound intensity disbelief?

Sound intensity disbelief refers to the skepticism or doubt surrounding the intensity or loudness of a particular sound. It is the feeling that the sound being heard is too loud or intense to be believable.

2. What causes sound intensity disbelief?

Sound intensity disbelief can be caused by a variety of factors, including the sensitivity of an individual's hearing, the environment in which the sound is heard, and the source of the sound. It can also be influenced by personal biases or previous experiences with similar sounds.

3. How is sound intensity measured?

Sound intensity is measured in decibels (dB), which is a logarithmic unit used to express the relative intensity of a sound. The higher the decibel level, the louder the sound is perceived to be. A sound intensity level of 0 dB is considered to be the threshold of human hearing.

4. Can sound intensity disbelief be harmful?

In some cases, sound intensity disbelief can be a protective mechanism, as it may prompt individuals to move away from loud or potentially harmful sounds. However, prolonged exposure to loud sounds can lead to hearing damage or loss. It is important to protect one's hearing and avoid prolonged exposure to loud sounds.

5. How can sound intensity disbelief be managed?

One way to manage sound intensity disbelief is to use ear protection, such as earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones, in environments with consistently loud sounds. Additionally, practicing good hearing habits, such as limiting exposure to loud sounds and giving your ears a break from noise, can help prevent sound intensity disbelief and potential hearing damage.