1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound intensity level of a jet

1. May 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A jet travelling overhead at an altitude of 5000 feet produces a sound intensity level of 80 dB. What would the figure be for an eight of 1000 feet?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2010 #2
    If you know the intensity of the sound wave at a certain distance from the source, then you can find the power of the source. Do you remember the equation that relates the power to intensity? This is a good place to start.
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
  4. May 19, 2010 #3
    I have the intensity of the source and I would calculate the power with the formula P=I*A but I don't have the radius I just have a difference in the two radii. But it's an equation with two unknowns the actual radius and the power.

r1=x at 5000 feet altitude
    r2=x + 4000 at 1000 feet altitude

how can I calculate the intensity at 1000 feet?
  5. May 19, 2010 #4
    So we have the formula for power, P=IA. What is A in this formula? And when you say radius, with respect to what origin are you referring to? Radius is the distance from where to where?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook