What is the relationship between sound intensity level and power?

In summary, the question is asking what fraction of the acoustic power of a noise would have to be eliminated to lower its sound intensity level from 90 to 70dB. The relevant equations are I = Power/Area and B = 10 * log *(I/I0), with I0 = 10-12W/m2. Using B=90 and B=70, we can solve for I and find that the new power is 1% of the original power. This may seem like a dramatic decrease for only a 20dB change in sound intensity level, but it is accurate when using the base 10 logarithm.
LeakyFrog

Homework Statement

What fraction of the acoustic power of a noise would have to be eliminated to lower its sound intensity level from 90 to 70dB?

Homework Equations

I = Power/Area
B = 10 * log *(I/I0)

I0 = 10-12W/m2

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer I got for this is that the new power is 1% of the original. Which I don't think is true. A nudge in the right direction would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
You can just solve [itex] B = 10 * log (I/I_0) [/itex] for I with B=90 and B is 70

remember to use the base 10 logarithm and not the natural logarithm

willem2 said:
You can just solve [itex] B = 10 * log (I/I_0) [/itex] for I with B=90 and B is 70

remember to use the base 10 logarithm and not the natural logarithm

Thanks. I guess it is 1% of the original power after all. Seems kind of strange that it would have to drop so dramatically for only 20dB.

What is sound intensity level?

Sound intensity level, also known as acoustic intensity, is a measure of the sound energy per unit area. It is measured in decibels (dB) and represents the perceived loudness of a sound.

How is sound intensity level measured?

Sound intensity level is measured using a device called a sound level meter. This device measures the sound pressure level in decibels (dB) and converts it into a logarithmic scale to represent the sound intensity level.

What factors affect sound intensity level?

The sound intensity level is affected by the distance between the sound source and the receiver, the type of medium the sound is traveling through, and the characteristics of the sound source itself (e.g. amplitude, frequency, etc.).

What are the applications of sound intensity level?

Sound intensity level is used in various fields, such as acoustics, engineering, and medicine. It is used to measure noise pollution, evaluate the effectiveness of hearing protection, and diagnose hearing problems.

How does sound intensity level impact human health?

Exposure to high levels of sound intensity can cause hearing damage, temporary or permanent hearing loss, and other health issues such as stress, sleep disturbance, and cardiovascular problems. It is important to limit exposure to loud sounds to protect our hearing and overall well-being.