Sound Intensity Level Ratio

So, once you take the inverse log (10^x) of the left side, the log and the inverse log cancel out, leaving you with just the expression inside the log. Then you can solve for the ratio by setting the two expressions (with I_1 and I_2 as the subject) equal to each other and solving for I_1/I_2.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the ratio of sound intensity levels at a rock concert and jazz festival using the formula B = (10dB) log(I/Io). The individual attempts at solving the problem involve setting up two equations and using algebraic manipulation to find the ratio, ultimately concluding that taking the inverse log and solving for the ratio will give the desired answer
tbontom
[SOLVED] Sound Intensity Level Ratio

Homework Statement

The sound intensity level at a rock concert is 110 dB, while that at a jazz fest is 100 dB. Determine the ratio of the sound intensity at the rock concert to that at the jazz fest.

Homework Equations

B=(10dB) log(I/Io)

The Attempt at a Solution

110=(10db) log (I/1.0*10^-12)
100=(10db) log (I/1.0*10^-12)

dont know where to go from here

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, well let I_0=10^-12, then you have two expressions (taking log base 10)

[tex]110=10\log\left(\frac{I_1}{I_0}\right) \hskip1cm 100=10\log\left(\frac{I_2}{I_0}\right)[/tex] and you want to find the ratio [tex]\frac{I_1}{I_2}[/tex]. So, you need to perform some algebra on these expressions to make I_1 and I_2 the subject of the equations, respectively. Try dividing both sides of each equation by 10. After that you will need to take the inverse log of each side: how would you do this?

That was my problem, I forgot you could do antilogs. thanks you so much

tbontom said:
That was my problem, I forgot you could do antilogs. thanks you so much

No problem!

1. What is sound intensity level ratio?

Sound intensity level ratio is a measure of the difference in sound intensity between two different sound sources. It is typically expressed in decibels (dB) and is used to compare the loudness of two sounds.

2. How is sound intensity level ratio calculated?

The sound intensity level ratio is calculated by taking the logarithm of the ratio of the two sound intensities. The formula is: L1/L2 = 10 log(I1/I2), where L1 and L2 are the sound intensity levels and I1 and I2 are the sound intensities.

3. What is the relationship between sound intensity level ratio and perceived loudness?

The sound intensity level ratio is directly related to perceived loudness. A higher sound intensity level ratio means a greater difference in sound intensity, which is perceived as a louder sound.

4. How does distance affect sound intensity level ratio?

As sound travels, it spreads out and its intensity decreases. This means that as the distance between the sound source and the listener increases, the sound intensity level ratio decreases. This is known as the inverse square law.

5. How is sound intensity level ratio used in real-world applications?

Sound intensity level ratio is used in various applications, such as noise control and sound engineering. It is also used in the measurement of hearing loss and in determining safe listening levels for occupational and recreational activities.