Sound Intensity maybe

In summary, the conversation starts at a distance of 25.0 m with a sound level of 25.0 dB. The person wants to move closer to increase the sound level to 80.0 dB. Using the formula d1/I1=d2/I2, the person calculates that the new distance should be less than 2.5 m. It is also mentioned that decibels is a logarithmically based system and that a 45 dB increase requires over 10,000 times the intensity.
You are trying to overhear a juicy conversation, but from your distance of 25.0 m , it sounds like only an average whisper of 25.0 dB . So you decide to move closer to give the conversation a sound level of 80.0 dB instead.

how close should you come?

d= ?

https://www.physicsforums.com/images/smilies/laughing.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok i just read what is expected of me when i post tha question, i am new at this. i have worked on this through my textbook and notes. all i got right now is d1/I1=d2/I2 1=d2/80. i don't know...

well two things you do need to know that decibels is a logarithmically based system, so that doubling the intensity results in a 3 dB gain. (log 2 times 10).
If you wanted a 20 db level increase, requires 100 times the intensity.

A 45 dB increase is over 10,000 times the intensity. For power which is proportional to amplitude squared, the figures scale logarithmically but such that a doubling in power is 6dB increase.

So the trick is to decide which is the quantity of interest and how it varies with distance. Then one can determine the change in distance. Off the top of my head guessing the answer will be less than 2.5m.

What is sound intensity?

Sound intensity refers to the amount of energy that is transmitted through sound waves per unit of area. It is typically measured in decibels (dB) and is an objective measurement of how loud a sound is.

How is sound intensity measured?

Sound intensity is measured using a device called a sound level meter, which measures the pressure of sound waves in the air. This measurement is then converted into decibels (dB) for easier interpretation.

What factors affect sound intensity?

The intensity of sound can be influenced by various factors, including the distance from the sound source, the environment in which the sound is traveling (such as air temperature and humidity), and the characteristics of the sound itself (such as frequency and amplitude).

What are the potential health effects of high sound intensity?

Exposure to high sound intensity, especially over a prolonged period, can lead to temporary or permanent hearing loss. It can also cause other health issues such as headaches, nausea, and stress. It is essential to protect your ears from excessive sound levels.

How is sound intensity used in everyday life?

Sound intensity plays a crucial role in various industries, including music, construction, and transportation. It is also used for noise control and measurement in occupational and environmental settings. In everyday life, we use sound intensity to determine how loud a sound is and to regulate our own voices and music volume.

Suggested for: Sound Intensity maybe

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies