1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound Intensity maybe

1. Feb 18, 2007 #1
    You are trying to overhear a juicy conversation, but from your distance of 25.0 m , it sounds like only an average whisper of 25.0 dB . So you decide to move closer to give the conversation a sound level of 80.0 dB instead.

how close should you come?

d= ????

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2007 #2
    ok i just read what is expected of me when i post tha question, i am new at this. i have worked on this through my text book and notes. all i got right now is d1/I1=d2/I2 1=d2/80. i dont know...
  4. Feb 19, 2007 #3
    well two things you do need to know that decibels is a logarithmically based system, so that doubling the intensity results in a 3 dB gain. (log 2 times 10).
    If you wanted a 20 db level increase, requires 100 times the intensity.

A 45 dB increase is over 10,000 times the intensity. For power which is proportional to amplitude squared, the figures scale logarithmically but such that a doubling in power is 6dB increase.

So the trick is to decide which is the quantity of interest and how it varies with distance. Then one can determine the change in distance. Off the top of my head guessing the answer will be less than 2.5m.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?