Sound Intensity of a song bird

In summary, the bird watcher can be up to 3.336 km away from the bird and still hear it with an intensity of 2.5 x 10^-6 W/m2. This is based on the inverse-square proportionality of sound intensity with distance. The faintest sound that can be heard has an intensity of 10^-12 W/m2 and the speed of sound is 343 m/s.
MarineBio

Homework Statement

A bird watcher is hoping to add a particular song bird to the list of species she has seen. If a person, only 2.11 m from the bird, hears the sound with an intensity of 2.5 x 10^-6 W/m2, how far could the bird watcher be from the bird and still hear it? Assume no reflections or absorption of the bird's sound and that the faintest sound that can be heard has an intensity of 10^-12 W/m2.

Homework Equations

Speed of sound: 343 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I've determined that 2.5 x 10^-6 W/m^2 is 63.979 dB

and...

10^-12 W/m^2 is 10 dB

Now the problem is, I don't know if dB is even relevant to solving this equation, and what is worse: I don't even know what kind of equation to use in order to approach this problem :(

Physics news on Phys.org
dBs are not relevant here, and anyway 10^-12 W/m^2 is zero dB.

What you do need to know is that sound intensity has an inverse-square proportionality with distance.

If I move twice as far away, intensity will be the (inverse-square of 2) times the initial intensity (or 1/4 x). In other words, the ratio of initial intensity over final intensity will be equal to the ratio of final distance squared over initial distance squared.

Ok so Ii/If = (xf^2)/(xi^2)

so

(2.5x10^-6)/(10^-12) = (xf^2)/(2.11 m^2)

2,500,000 = (xf^2)/(2.11 m^2)

11,130,250 = xf^2

x = SRTQ(11,130,250)

x = 3336 m

x = 3.336 km

I think that looks about right, thank you very much!

Yes, that's the right answer.

1. What is sound intensity?

Sound intensity refers to the amount of energy that is transmitted through sound waves per unit area. It is measured in decibels (dB) and is used to describe how loud or soft a sound is.

2. How is sound intensity measured?

Sound intensity is measured using a device called a sound level meter. This device captures sound waves and converts them into electrical signals, which are then displayed as decibels on a scale.

3. What is the sound intensity of a song bird?

The sound intensity of a song bird can vary depending on the species, but on average it ranges from 50-80 dB. However, during mating or territorial displays, some song birds can reach sound intensities of up to 100 dB.

4. How does a song bird produce sound?

A song bird produces sound by using its vocal cords, which are located in its syrinx (a specialized organ in the throat). The bird controls the air flow through its syrinx, which causes the vocal cords to vibrate and produce sound waves.

5. What factors can affect the sound intensity of a song bird?

The sound intensity of a song bird can be affected by several factors, including the species and size of the bird, the environment it is in (such as open space or a closed room), and the time of day (as some birds are more vocal during certain times). Additionally, external factors such as background noise or the distance between the bird and the listener can also impact the perceived sound intensity.