Calculating Sound Intensity and Level of a Whisper

In summary: I believe it's supposed to be a hint for a later problem involving a whisper, but I'm not sure.In summary, the sound intensity of a whisper at a distance of 3.0 m is 10^-12 W/m^2 and the corresponding sound intensity level is 0 dB. The given information of a power value for the whisper is not provided, making it difficult to solve the problem accurately. However, a commonly referenced value for a whisper is 20 decibels or 1*10^-10 W/m^2. Therefore, a rough estimation can be made by dividing this value by 100, resulting in an intensity that is just detectable at 10^-12 W/m^2. It is possible that
xgoddess210

Homework Statement

What is the sound intensity of a whisper at a distance of 3.0 m, in W/m^2 ?

What is the corresponding sound intensity level in dB?

Homework Equations

I=P/4*pi*r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried looking up what the power of a whisper was and I can't find any information. This would not be a difficult problem if the information was given, but I don't know how to go about it without a value for P.

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried using 10^-10 as the power emitted (got that from a website) and this is what I did:

I= 10^-10/ 4pi*3^2

I= 8.8*10^-13

That was wrong, so I'm really at a loss here.

I think you mostly have the idea.

I would think that a whisper is frequently listed as 20 decibels or 1*10-10 as you have indicated.

Dividing by roughly 100 ~ 9*4*3 yields then just about 10-12 w/m2which is the reference level for detectable sound.
So that in decibels that looks like 0.
Maybe your answer just has too much precision? After all, it's not all that precise to begin with.

xgoddess210 said:
That was wrong, so I'm really at a loss here.

Why would you be asked for a precise answer if they don't give you a value for P? Is this a book problem or something your teacher gave you?

It's a mastering physics problem.

1. What is sound intensity?

Sound intensity is the amount of energy that is transmitted by a sound wave per unit area. It is measured in units of watts per square meter (W/m²).

2. How is sound intensity measured?

Sound intensity can be measured using a sound level meter or a decibel meter. These devices measure the pressure fluctuations in the air caused by sound waves and convert them into a numerical value.

3. How does the sound intensity of a whisper compare to other sounds?

A whisper typically has a sound intensity of around 10 decibels (dB), which is much lower than the sound intensity of other sounds such as a normal conversation (60 dB) or a rock concert (120 dB).

4. What factors can affect the sound intensity of a whisper?

The sound intensity of a whisper can be affected by several factors, including the distance between the speaker and the listener, the environment (e.g. a quiet room vs. a noisy room), and the physical characteristics of the speaker (e.g. age, gender, vocal strength).

5. Is it possible to increase the sound intensity of a whisper?

Yes, it is possible to increase the sound intensity of a whisper by speaking closer to the listener, speaking with more force, or by using a microphone and amplifier. However, it is important to consider the context and respect the personal space of the listener when trying to increase the sound intensity of a whisper.