1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound intensity on a flat earth

1. Feb 15, 2010 #1
    Sound intensity on a "flat earth"

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a flat Earth with an atmosphere that descreases in density as altitude increases such that rho = rho0e-h/H where rho nought is the density of air at zero altitude and H is a constant known as the "scale height". Assume the bulk modulus of air is constant. a)Show that the intensity of a soundwave of constant wavelenght will increase with altitude (assume velocity changes due to a change in frequency only). b) Show that the intensity of a soundwave of constant frequency will decrease with altitude (Assume velocity changes due to a change in wavelenght only). c) Show that the ratio of the dreivatives is given by:
    (dI/dh) lamda constant / (dI/dh) freq. constant = -eh/H

2. Relevant equations

I = .5p v w^2 S^2
    p = rho
    w = omega

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've been breaking my head trying to do this.
    The only thing i can think of is to get all the wanted variables into the equation:

I = .5p (lambda/time) (2pi f)^2 S^2

but then how do I go from there?
    I have the feeling that I have to do partial dv/dlambda and partial dv/dfreq.
    but I dont know how and where to insert them and use them.

ty.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted