1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound Intensity Problem

1. Jan 19, 2005 #1
    I am confused about a homework problem and was hoping that maybe somebody here can help......

Homework Problem
    When a helicopter is hovering 1090 m directly overhead, an observer on the ground measures a sound intensity I. Assume that sound is radiated uniformly from the helicopter and that ground reflections are negligible. How far (in m) must the helicopter fly in a straight line parallel to the ground before the observer measures a sound intensity of I/4?

According to my textbook, "If the distance increases by a factor of two, the sound intensity decreases by a factor of 2^2=4"

So I figured that to find the answer I simply muiltiply the initial distance (1090m) by 2 so the sound intensity (I) decreases by 4 (I/4). When I do the math, my answer is 2180m but this is not the correct answer.

What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

You have to use the pythagorean theorem. 2180m is the distance from the helicopter to the observer. But the question asks how far the helicopter flew horizontally. Draw a sketch...
  4. Jan 19, 2005 #3
    Thank you for the help!

Ah ha, I see. Now my problem then becomes a basic algebra issue. I understand that the pythagorean theorem is A^2 + B^2 = C^2 and when I sub in the values I get as an equation:

C^2=sqrt(A^2 + B^2) --> 2180^2 = sqrt(1090^2 + B^2)

But I do not know how to solve for B^2 when A and C are both known. Can someone maybe help with my algebra on this one?

I added a graphic to this thread that depicts the problem.

Thanks again!

Attached Files:

5. Jan 19, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No,no,your formula expressing Pythagora's theorem is completely wrong

[tex] 2180^{2}=1090^{2}+B^{2} [/tex]

Solve for "B",knowing that only a positive solution si acceptable...

6. Jan 19, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

you inserted a wrong sqrt here. It should be:

C^2=A^2 + B^2 --> 2180^2 = 1090^2 + B^2

Solve for B here.
  7. Jan 19, 2005 #6
    Thanks for all the replies, I got it! I really did know how to do this (solve for B^2 that is), I must have just had a mental block as my brain has been on vacation for a month.

1887.94 m.

Thanks again!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?