Solve Sound Intensity Homework

In summary: While moving Northward at 14.3 m/s, the submarine is “pinged” by another sub from the North with an intensity level of 86.4 dB and a frequency of 7270 Hz. Knowing that the standard ping on an enemy sub has an apparent frequency of 7230 Hz and emits 990 Watts of power, Casey is able to determine the intensity of the ping to be 4.37 * 10^-4. The ping took 0.278 seconds to travel from the enemy sub to Casey's sub. The enemy sub is moving towards Casey's sub, but the speed of the enemy sub cannot be determined. When Casey takes
biomajor009

Homework Statement

You are the captain of a submarine that is on a secret mission deep inside enemy waters. Suddenly your ship is “pinged” by another sub. You are able to determine that the ping comes from the North, has an intensity level of 86.4 dB, and has a frequency of 7270 Hz. You know that the standard ping on an enemy sub has an apparent frequency of 7230 Hz and emits 990 Watts of power. At the instant you get pinged your sub is moving Northward at 14.3 m/s. Note: the speed of sound in sea water is 1530 m/s.
(a) What is the intensity of the ping you hear?
(b) How long did it take the “ping” to travel from the enemy sub to your sub?
(c) How fast is the enemy sub moving? Are they moving toward you or away from you?
(d) You take evasive action and head South to get make sure you get as far as possible from the enemy sub. You are exactly are two kilometers away from the enemy sub when you hear the next ping. What is the intensity level of the ping that you hear this time?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the intensity in (a) to be 4.37 * 10^-4
Then I found the time it took in (b) to be 0.278 seconds
I know that in (c) it should be moving toward you, but I don't know how to figure out the source's speed. What equation should I be using?
Then for (d) I found the new intensity level to be 72.94dB

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you need to use the apparent frequency equation [tex]f'=\frac{v\pm v_D}{v\pm v_s}f[/tex]

where f' if the apparent frequency; f is the real frequency;v_s is speed of source; v_d is speed of detector; v is the speed of sound through that particular medium.

You need to make commen sense assumptions as to whether to use + or -. For example if f' is higher than f then their are some different possiblities. What would making the numerator/denominator bigger/smaller do to the overal value of the fraction (that is in fact f')?

Casey

, using the inverse square law for sound intensity. This means that the intensity level decreases as the distance from the source increases.

1. What is sound intensity?

Sound intensity is a measure of the amount of sound energy that is transmitted per unit time through a unit area. It is typically measured in decibels (dB) and is used to describe the loudness of a sound.

2. How is sound intensity measured?

Sound intensity is typically measured using a sound level meter, which is a device that measures the pressure of the sound waves in decibels (dB). It can also be calculated using the formula I = P/A, where I is intensity, P is power, and A is the area.

3. What factors affect sound intensity?

The main factors that affect sound intensity include the distance from the sound source, the size and shape of the source, and the medium through which the sound is traveling. Other factors may include temperature, humidity, and air pressure.

4. How does sound intensity relate to sound pressure?

Sound intensity and sound pressure are related, but they are not the same thing. Sound intensity is a measure of the amount of sound energy transmitted, while sound pressure is a measure of the force of the sound waves on a surface. Sound intensity is proportional to the square of the sound pressure.

5. How is sound intensity used in real-world applications?

Sound intensity is used in a variety of real-world applications, including noise control and monitoring, sound engineering, and in the study of acoustics. It is also an important factor in determining the safe exposure levels for occupational and environmental noise.