1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound interference

1. Mar 9, 2006 #1
    Given for the problem:
    A speaker sends out two sound waves with equal Amplitudes but the frequencies are f(1) and f(2) respectively. The motion of sound as w = A * cos(k*x - t*(Omega)). The wave number's and the angular frequency's definition are the same for light.

Find for the problem:
    Show that at a distance x directly in front of the speaker, there is destructive interference between the waves with a frequency f(1) - f(2).

My solution so far:
    w(1) = A * cos((2PI/(Lambda(1))) * x - (2PI * f(1) * t)
    w(2) = A * cos((2PI/(Lambda(2))) * x - (2PI * f(2) * t)

I assume that the final equation will be in the form of:
    dt = (x / v) - t
    where v is the speed of sound

A little advice please!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2006 #2
    I hope i put this in the right section... It is a Sophmre level physics class... :blushing:
  4. Mar 10, 2006 #3
    Hint: You are looking for a point, x, where the two waves are out of phase by pi radians.

5. Mar 10, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

"Destructive Interference" in this case is time-dependent cancellation of the total amplitude (that means add the wave functions), at any location.
    This is in contrast to location-dependent cancellation of the total amplitude
    (an interference pattern) at all time.

Choose an x-value, and add the wave forms ; see when (time) they cancel.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?