Suggested ICs for Outdoor Speaker Sound Level Meter

In summary, a sound level meter is a good investment for measuring the indoor sound levels of speakers.
zafranax

what ICs can u suggest to be used in my sound level meter for outdoor speakers in order to have an accurate measurements. power amplifier to be used will be 50, 70, 100 watts power out put.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Analog make a wonderful logarithmic amplifier chip, the AD8307 which would be great.

But, seriously, go and buy a sound level meter. They are cheap and come already calibrated and in a nice case with a guarantee.

This is an example:
http://www.frys.com/product/2965325?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
You can get better ones, too, but this one looks fine for general use.

Even if you build you still still have to calibrate it, which can only be done using another sound level meter...

Calibrating sound level meters is actually quite tricky. Even commercial ones are often quite limited and only really useful for "noise", they are often very inaccurate at e.g. low frequencies (the one I have at home is useless below about 100 Hz).

im going to use LM3916 IC for my sound level indicator. i want to canvass how much would be the cost of one IC LM3916 and if i will order a large quantity,how much will be the shipping cost.

my thesis proposal will be a sound level indicator for loudspeaker using LEDs. this will be a bar graph display that will indicate the level of the sound of a certain loudspeaker.what ideas can u share about my thesis proposal?

You could try this:
http://www.findchips.com/avail

This is from the
Sticky: Useful EE Links and Search Engines
above.

Those chips are readily available for less than $2. Shipping would be much the same whether you order one or 20, so it is worth getting a big batch in one go if you need them.

Last edited by a moderator:
zafranax said:
my thesis proposal will be a sound level indicator for loudspeaker using LEDs. this will be a bar graph display that will indicate the level of the sound of a certain loudspeaker.what ideas can u share about my thesis proposal?

Like these? http://www.discovercircuits.com/V/vu-meter.htm

i want to ask some ideas about the significance of my thesis.. because it takes me a lot of time thinking,wat wud be the importance or the objective of my thesis proposal.. pls help me realize the significance of my thesis...

You would need to talk to your teacher about this.

Just building someone else's circuit off Internet probably would not be enough at thesis level.

You would need to consider the frequency response of microphones and check up on different types of weighting for the frequency response.

A 3916 will give poor output resolution as it gives stepped output.

You will probably need extra gain too, as the output of a microphone is quite low.

Do you have another sound level meter to calibrate yours off?

i don't have a sound level meter. but i want to purchase... how much is a typical sound level meter...and its shipping cost?

can u suggest a circuit design for a sound level meter?
and its testing strategy...pleasezzzz.

1. What is an outdoor speaker sound level meter?

An outdoor speaker sound level meter is a device used to measure the sound level or intensity of sound produced by outdoor speakers. It typically consists of a microphone, amplifier, and display screen.

2. Why is it important to have a sound level meter for outdoor speakers?

It is important to have a sound level meter for outdoor speakers to ensure that the sound level is not too loud and potentially harmful to human hearing. It can also help to prevent noise complaints from neighbors and ensure compliance with local noise regulations.

3. What are some suggested ICs for outdoor speaker sound level meter?

Some suggested ICs for outdoor speaker sound level meter include the LM3915, LM3916, and LM3914. These are all voltage level indicator ICs that can be used for audio applications such as sound level meters.

4. How do these suggested ICs work in an outdoor speaker sound level meter?

These ICs work by converting the input sound level signal into a corresponding voltage level, which is then displayed on the LED bar graph. The LM3915 and LM3916 have 10 LED outputs, while the LM3914 has 20 LED outputs, allowing for more precise measurement of sound levels.

5. Are there any alternatives to using ICs for an outdoor speaker sound level meter?

Yes, there are alternative options such as using a microcontroller or a dedicated sound level meter chip. However, using ICs offers a simple and cost-effective solution for measuring sound levels in outdoor speaker systems.