Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound problem:

1. Jul 29, 2005 #1

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

Sound problem: Please Help!

First of all, I really don't know much of anything about computers, so please excuse me if this is pretty stupid. I got my computer from a friend of my father's who didn't need it anymore. He deleted all the files on it before he gave it away, including stuff like windows and the drivers for the video card. I have it working pretty well, but the sound doesn't work. It can make beeps and it hisses every so often, so the speakers are working, but it can't play any sound files. Something simmilar happened with the display: it could do basic stuff, but it could only display 8 colors which messed up certain programs. I think I need drivers for my sound card or something. When I needed them for the display, I got them by finding the video card in add/remove hardware and then the computer found the drivers on the internet. Right now I have an "unkown PCI device" in add/remove hardware that I think might be the sound card, but when I let my computer search for the drivers, it can never find them anywhere. Maybe the problem is something else, I don't know, but that's what it seems to be. Thank you very much in advane for helping me!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

What type of graphics card and sound card do you have? Once you have that information you can go to the manufacturers websites and download the drivers you need.

4. Jul 29, 2005 #3

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

How do I find that information?

5. Jul 29, 2005 #4

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Open up the computer and look at the cards. You might have to take the cards out. They usually have a sticker or printed information on the cards.

6. Jul 29, 2005 #5

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

How will I know which is the right card?

7. Jul 29, 2005 #6

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The graphics card is the one with the socket for the monitor lead, the sound card is the one with the sockets for your speakers, headphones and microphone.

8. Jul 29, 2005 #7

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

OK, I think I found it, but I don't know what the manufacturer is. This is what I found on the card:
    Audio PCI

ASSY NO: 09 REV:A
    N10225

EMI(B)

9. Jul 29, 2005 #8

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

10. Jul 29, 2005 #9

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

Sorry this is taking so long. I downloaded the drivers, but can't find how to install them. Any idea how to do this?

11. Jul 29, 2005 #10

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

I don't know what I did, but the sound started working all the sudden! Thanks dduardo and brewnog! :smile:

12. Jul 30, 2005 #11

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

That's good. Now lets get your video card working. What model is the video card or is it intergrated into the motherboard?

13. Jul 30, 2005 #12

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

Oh, I already got the video card working when I first got the computer. It found the drivers on the internet by itself. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?