Help! Sound Problem: Please Assist!

• Thread starter LeonhardEuler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, the user's computer has no sound or display, and he can't find the drivers for either of them. He found the video card and installed the drivers, but the sound still didn't work. The sound started working all of a sudden after he got the video card working.
LeonhardEuler
Gold Member
Sound problem: Please Help!

First of all, I really don't know much of anything about computers, so please excuse me if this is pretty stupid. I got my computer from a friend of my father's who didn't need it anymore. He deleted all the files on it before he gave it away, including stuff like windows and the drivers for the video card. I have it working pretty well, but the sound doesn't work. It can make beeps and it hisses every so often, so the speakers are working, but it can't play any sound files. Something simmilar happened with the display: it could do basic stuff, but it could only display 8 colors which messed up certain programs. I think I need drivers for my sound card or something. When I needed them for the display, I got them by finding the video card in add/remove hardware and then the computer found the drivers on the internet. Right now I have an "unkown PCI device" in add/remove hardware that I think might be the sound card, but when I let my computer search for the drivers, it can never find them anywhere. Maybe the problem is something else, I don't know, but that's what it seems to be. Thank you very much in advane for helping me!

Computer science news on Phys.org
What type of graphics card and sound card do you have? Once you have that information you can go to the manufacturers websites and download the drivers you need.

How do I find that information?

Open up the computer and look at the cards. You might have to take the cards out. They usually have a sticker or printed information on the cards.

How will I know which is the right card?

LeonhardEuler said:
How will I know which is the right card?

The graphics card is the one with the socket for the monitor lead, the sound card is the one with the sockets for your speakers, headphones and microphone.

OK, I think I found it, but I don't know what the manufacturer is. This is what I found on the card:
Audio PCI

ASSY NO: 09 REV:A
N10225

EMI(B)

Sorry this is taking so long. I downloaded the drivers, but can't find how to install them. Any idea how to do this?

I don't know what I did, but the sound started working all the sudden! Thanks dduardo and brewnog! :smile:

That's good. Now let's get your video card working. What model is the video card or is it intergrated into the motherboard?

Oh, I already got the video card working when I first got the computer. It found the drivers on the internet by itself. Thanks again.

1. Why is there no sound coming from my device?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a hardware problem such as a faulty speaker or audio port, or it could be a software issue such as a driver or settings problem. It is important to troubleshoot and identify the root cause in order to resolve the problem.

2. How can I fix the sound problem?

The solution to fixing the sound problem will depend on the cause. First, check if the sound is muted or the volume is turned down. If this is not the issue, try updating your audio drivers or resetting your device's audio settings. If the problem persists, it may indicate a hardware problem and you may need to seek professional assistance.

3. Why is there a crackling or distorted sound coming from my device?

This could be due to a damaged speaker or an issue with the audio settings. Try adjusting the volume and equalizer settings to see if it improves the sound quality. If not, it may be necessary to replace the speakers or seek professional help.

4. How do I troubleshoot sound problems on my device?

The first step is to check if the issue is isolated to a specific program or application. If the sound works fine on other programs, then the problem could be with that specific program. If the issue is with all programs, then follow basic troubleshooting steps such as checking the volume, updating drivers, and resetting audio settings.

5. Can a virus or malware cause sound problems on my device?

Yes, a virus or malware can potentially cause issues with your device's sound. It is important to regularly scan your device for any viruses or malware and to have a reliable antivirus software installed to prevent such problems. If you suspect a virus or malware, it is recommended to seek professional assistance in removing it.